Barrington is a is a suburban community in Cook County and Lake County, Illinois. The city is located approximately 32 miles north of Chicago. As of the 2010 U.S. Census, Barrington's population was 43,000.
The Barrington zip code (60010) is the seventh wealthiest zip code in the country among areas with a population of 20,000 or more.
- Main article: Evaluation of Illinois city websites
|Transparency grading process|
- Budgets are published.
- The Village Board members are listed, including photos, biographical information and experience, and contact information.
- The Village Board meetings, agendas, minutes and video records are posted and up to date. Additionally, the meetings are broadcast live on Channel 4, a local public station.
- Appointed Commissions and Commission members are listed.
- All members employed by the city are listed by name, title and department and contact information is included.
- Additional information regarding government structure and election processes (including links to run for office) is available.
- Village rules and regulations are posted and include construction codes and licensing information.
- Planning, zoning and development processes and licensing are published.
- Audits are published and archived back to 2005.
- The “I Want To” drop-down feature is accessible and easy to use.
- No FOIA request information is provided.
- No lobbying information is provided.
The total 2011 budget included $25,476,145 in estimated revenue and $30,729,334 in budgeted expenditures, resulting in a deficit of $1,336,562. A deficit reduction plan was not required at that time.
The Village of Barrington received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award in January 2009.
- Improved the Village’s bond rating to AA+ (Standard & Poor’s).
- Transitioned to an annual budget rather than biannual to keep better informed about revenue and expenditures.
- The Village President, with the advice and consent of the Board, appoints commission members that make recommendations to the Board. The meetings are open to the public.
- The commissions include: Architectural Review Commission, Cultural Commission, Electrical Commission, Emergency Telephone System Board, Ethics Board, Fire and Police Commission, Fire Pension Board, Plan Commission, Police Pension Board, Sesquicentennial Committee and Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Village Board Members meet bi-monthly. The Village Board consists of six trustees and the Village President and Clerk. All meetings are broadcast live on Channel 4, the Village’s Public Access Channel.
- Continued the Village’s commitment to maintaining its infrastructure by repaving or reconstructing 4.27 total miles of streets (1.4 miles in 2009 and 2.87 miles in 2010). The Village also constructed or replaced 8,164 feet of water main and constructed, replaced or lined 11,334 feet of sanitary sewer main. The Village also made upgrades to its Wastewater Treatment Plant and repaved the North Commuter Parking Lots at the Train Station.
- Completed the purchase, installation and implementation of new communications equipment for Barrington public safety services from the Starcom Federal Grant received by the Village for 2009 and 2010. Using this grant, the Village was able to purchase new radios and communications equipment for the Police Department, Fire Department and Barrington Hills Police Department.
- U.S. Census Barrington, Lake County population
- Wealthies Zip Codes Award
- Village Board Members
- Village Agendas and Minutes
- Commissions Members
- Village Staff Directory
- Village Government
- Rules and Regulations
- Planning and development
- Annual budget
- Rating improvement
- Appointed Commissions
- Village Board
- Infrastructure improvements