|North Carolina House of Representatives, District 54|
|High school||Pittsboro High School|
|Bachelor's||North Carolina State University|
|Master's||North Carolina A&T State University|
|Profession||Chartered financial consultant|
Burns earned his B.S. in Math Education from North Carolina State University and his M.S. in Education Administration from North Carolina A&T State University. His professional experience includes working as a chartered financial consultant, as a math teacher for 17 years at Chatham Central High School, as a principal at Chatham Central High School and Northwood High School, as Assistant Principal at Chatham Middle School, as a summer recruiter for Central Carolina Community College in Sanford, NC for 13 years and for Upward Bound at UNC Chapel Hill.
Burns's campaign website highlighted the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Pay increase for ALL teachers."
- Excerpt: "Stop the re-segregation of schools."
- Excerpt: "Make public schools more aligned to charter schools."
- Excerpt: "No vouchers for private schools."
- Excerpt: "Streamline administration."
- Excerpt: "Timely coal ash removal."
- Excerpt: "AGAINST Fracking."
- Excerpt: "Replace DENR (Department of Environment and Natural Resources) Leadership that sees corporations as their 'customers.'"
- Excerpt: "Require much greater oversight of our most precious resource - OUR ENVIRONMENT!"
DHHS Oversight - Medicaid
- Excerpt: "Change the leadership at DHHS (Department of Health and Human Services)."
- Excerpt: "Secure the Federal Medicaid funding that the lack thereof is increasing the cost of health care for everyone."
Elections for the office of North Carolina House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place May 6, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 28, 2014. Incumbent Robert Reives defeated Barry Burns in the Democratic primary, while Andy Wilkie was unopposed in the Republican primary. Reives and Wilkie will face off in the general election.
|North Carolina House of Representatives, District 54 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Robert Reives Incumbent||68.4%||5,739|
Burns and his wife, Phyllis, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Barry + Burns + North + Carolina + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- North Carolina House of Representatives
- North Carolina State Legislature
- North Carolina House of Representatives elections, 2014
- North Carolina House of Representatives District 54
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, Official primary candidate list
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, Official general election candidate list
- Official campaign website, "About Barry," accessed April 21, 2014
- Official campaign website, "Primary Concerns," accessed April 21, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Official Primary Election Results For 2014," accessed June 12, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "General Election Candidate List Grouped by Contest," accessed June 12, 2014
State of North Carolina
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utilities |