For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Battleground Friday: Arizona's 9th Congressional District
November 4, 2014
August 26, 2014
Cook Political Report: Lean D
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Lean D
By the Congress team
Current incumbent: Kyrsten Sinema (D) was first elected to the House in 2012 and is seeking re-election in 2014. After much speculation that Sinema would run for re-election in the much safer 7th District, Sinema announced that she would be staying put and seeking re-election in District 9. Sinema is a member of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's Frontline Program. The program is designed to help protect vulnerable Democratic incumbents heading into the 2014 election.
2014 candidates: Two Republican challengers will face off in the primary for a chance to defeat Sinema: 2012 candidate Wendy Rogers and businessman Andrew Walter. Both Rogers and Walter were added to the NRCC's "On the Radar" list in November 2013. According to the NRCC, candidates that make this list receive "...the tools they need to run successful, winning campaigns against their Democratic opponents."
What made it a Ballotpedia battleground district?: Our analysis points to the district being a battleground with a relatively even split of registered Democrats and Republicans according to Cook's PVI. Additionally, Sinema is a freshman incumbent with a margin of victory of less than 5% in 2012.
FEC: July Quarterly reports from the Federal Election Commission show incumbent Kyrsten Sinema with a massive fundraising advantage over either of her Republican challengers. She has raised a total of $2,399,452 and has $1,595,047 cash on hand. Wendy Rogers comes in second with contributions totaling &715,841 and $387,346 cash on hand. Andrew Walter trails the other candidates with a grand total of $483,945 in contributions and $220,081 on hand.
- The information above was compiled following the Arizona candidate filing deadline. Please find all further updates on the 9th District's election page.
|Arizona's 9th Congressional District|
- U.S. House battleground districts, 2014
- Arizona's 9th Congressional District
- Arizona's 9th Congressional District elections, 2014
- Kyrsten Sinema
- Wendy Rogers
- Andrew Walter
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR June 26, 2014," accessed July 28, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed July 28, 2014
- Facebook, "Kyrsten Sinema," accessed March 7, 2014
- Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, "DCCC Chairman Steve Israel Announces 2013-2014 Frontline Members," accessed March 5, 2013
- Arizona Secretary of State, "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election," November 6, 2012
- Arizona Secretary of State, "2014 Primary Election candidates," accessed August 7, 2014
- Roll Call, "House Republicans Put 36 Recruits ‘On the Radar’" accessed November 21, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Kyrsten Sinema July Quarterly," accessed July 23, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Wendy Rogers July Quarterly," accessed July 24, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Andrew Walter July Quarterly," accessed July 24, 2014