Battleground Friday: Illinois' 12th Congressional District
November 4, 2014
March 18, 2014
Cook Political Report: Toss Up
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Lean D
Current incumbent: William Enyart (D) was elected to the 12th District in 2012. Enyart is a member of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's Frontline Program. The program is designed to help protect vulnerable Democratic incumbents heading into the 2014 election.
2014 candidates: Incumbent William Enyart (D) and state Rep. Mike Bost (R) both face no primary challenger. They will face each other, and Green Party candidate Paula Bradshaw, in the general election on November 4, 2014. Bradshaw managed to secure almost 6% of the total votes in 2012.
What made it a Ballotpedia battleground district?: The Cook PVI listed this race as virtually even and the Fairvote projections show the district as only slightly favoring Democrats. In addition, the district has become increasingly competitive in presidential elections. In 2012, Obama barely won the district with 1.5% over Mitt Romney. Additionally, this is Enyart's first bid for re-election. According to a poll released by NRCC Chairman Greg Walden in November 2013, Enyart only had a 25% approval rating in his district and 40% of those polled were undecided.
- The information above was compiled following the Illinois' candidate filing deadline. Please find all further updates on the 12th District's election page.
|Illinois' 12th Congressional District|
- U.S. House battleground districts, 2014
- Illinois' 12th Congressional District
- Illinois' 12th Congressional District elections, 2014
- William Enyart
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR June 26, 2014," accessed August 5, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed August 5, 2014
- Fairvote, "FairVote Releases Projections for the 2014 Congressional Elections," accessed August 5, 2014
- Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, "DCCC Chairman Steve Israel Announces 2013-2014 Frontline Members," accessed March 5, 2013
- List of active candidates
- The Southern, "Bradshaw to seek 12th Congressional seat," accessed February 3, 2014
- Battleground Polling, "NRCC Poll Gives Bost and Dold edge," accessed February 3, 2014
- The Hill, "NRCC chief: ObamaCare will doom Democrats," accessed February 3, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Mike Bost Year End Report," accessed February 3, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "William Enyart Year End Report," accessed February 3, 2014