Battleground Friday: Nevada's 3rd Congressional District
November 4, 2014
June 10, 2014
Cook Political Report: Likely R
Current incumbent: Joe Heck was first elected to the U.S. House of Representatives to represent Nevada's 3rd Congressional District in 2010, when he defeated Democratic incumbent Dina Titus. Heck is also a colonel in the U.S. Army Reserve.
2012 MOV: Heck won re-election in 2012 with a margin of victory of 7.5% over Democratic challenger John Oceguera.
2014 candidates: Heck will run unopposed in the Republican primary. Erin Bilbray and Zachary Campbell will face off in the Democratic primary, and the winner will challenge Heck in the general election. Bilbray-Kohn is a committeewoman on the Democratic National Committee. Also running in the election are David Goossen (I), Steven St John (I), and Randy Kimmick (L).
What made it a Ballotpedia battleground district?: Nevada's 3rd Congressional District appears to have only slightly more Republican than Democratic voters. Cook's PVI shows the race being "even," while Fairvote rates the district as 44.2% Democratic. Furthermore, in 2012, this district elected a Republican to the U.S. House, but Barack Obama (D) won the district's presidential race with a .8% margin of victory.
FEC: As of the April Quarterly FEC reports, Heck had a monetary advantage over Bilbray-Kohn. The reports show show Heck with $1,238,995.34 cash on hand, almost three times Bilbray-Kohn's $426,518.29. During this quarter, Heck raised $365,086.36, while Bilbray-Kohn raised $271,528.27. At the time of these reports, the other candidates had not yet filed with the Federal Election Commission.
- The information above was compiled following the Nevada candidate filing deadline. Please find all further updates on the 3rd District's election page.
|Nevada's 3rd Congressional District|
- U.S. House battleground districts, 2014
- Nevada's 3rd Congressional District
- Nevada's 3rd Congressional District elections, 2014
- Joe Heck
- Cook Political Report, "2014 House Race Ratings for August 8, 2014," accessed August 25, 2014
- FairVote's Monopoly Politics, "2014 House Projections," accessed August 25, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed August 25, 2014
- U.S. Congress House Clerk, "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010," accessed April 23, 2014
- Congressman Joe Heck, Proudly Representing the 3rd District of Nevada, "Full Biography," accessed April 23, 2014
- Review Journal, "Erin Bilbray-Kohn announces run for Congress," accessed April 23, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Joe Heck April Quarterly," accessed April 23, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Erin Bilbray-Kohn April Quarterly," accessed April 23, 2014