Battleground Friday: New Jersey's 2nd Congressional District
November 4, 2014
June 3, 2014
Cook Political Report: Solid R
Current incumbent: Republican incumbent Frank LoBiondo was first elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1994. Prior to his congressional career, he served as a member of the New Jersey State Assembly and held a position on the Board of Chosen Freeholders in Cumberland County.
2014 candidates: LoBiondo will run against Mike Assad in the Republican primary on June 3, 2014. If he wins the Republican nomination, he will go on to face the winner of the Democratic primary in the general election on November 4, 2014. Running in the Democratic primary are Bill Hughes, Jr. and Dave Cole. Based on endorsements and campaign finances, LoBiondo and Hughes will most likely face off in the general election.
What made it a Ballotpedia battleground district?: The Cook Political Report and FairVote disagree in their predictions for this race. Cook's Partisan Voter Index (PVI) rates the district as D+1, or barely Democratic. FairVote, on the other hand, rates the district as only 40.4% Democratic, leaning more toward the Republicans. In 2012, the 2nd District voted for Republican incumbent Frank LoBiondo with a safe 17.4% margin of victory. On the other hand, the 2012 presidential race went Democratic, with Barack Obama winning the district by an 8.1% margin of victory.
FEC: As of the April Quarterly FEC reports, LoBiondo had a monetary advantage over all three challengers. Whereas LoBiondo had $1,276,930.37 cash on hand, Hughes had only $328,170.53. Cole and Assad both had significantly less cash on hand, with only $11,109.45 and $394.70, respectively.
- The information above was compiled following the New Jersey candidate filing deadline. Please find all further updates on the 2nd District's election page.
|New Jersey's 2nd Congressional District|
- U.S. House battleground districts, 2014
- New Jersey's 2nd Congressional District
- New Jersey's 2nd Congressional District elections, 2014
- Frank LoBiondo
- Cook Political Report, "2014 House Race Ratings for August 8, 2014," accessed August 25, 2014
- FairVote's Monopoly Politics, "2014 House Projections," accessed August 25, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed August 25, 2014
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, "LoBIONDO, Frank A., (1946 - )," accessed May 29, 2014
- New Jersey Secretary of State, "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election," accessed May 29, 2014
- New Jersey Division of Elections, "Candidates for House of Representatives - Unofficial List," accessed May 29, 2014
- The Cook Political Report, "Partisan Voting Index, Districts of the 113th Congress," accessed May 24, 2014
- FairVote, "2014 Elections in New Jersey," accessed May 26, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Frank LoBiondo April Quarterly," accessed May 29, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Bill Hughes, Jr. April Quarterly," accessed May 29, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Dave Cole April Quarterly," accessed May 29, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Mike Assad April Quarterly," accessed May 29, 2014