Battleground Friday: New York's 23rd Congressional District
November 4, 2014
June 24, 2014
Cook Political Report: Likely R
Current incumbent: Republican incumbent Tom Reed was first elected to the United States House of Representatives in 2010. Prior to his congressional career, Reed was a lawyer and the mayor of Corning, New York.
2014 candidates: Incumbent Tom Reed is running for re-election on the Republican, Conservative and Independence Party tickets. Martha Robertson will challenge Reed in the November general election on the Democratic and Working Families Party tickets. Both Reed and Robertson ran uncontested in their respective primary elections.
What made it a Ballotpedia battleground district?: The Cook Political Report Partisan Voter Index (PVI) rates the district as R+3, or moderately Republican. FairVote concurs, giving the district a rating of 45.6% Democratic. Previous elections likewise reveal a Republican lean to the district, with President Barack Obama (D) losing the district by 1.2% in 2012 and incumbent Tom Reed (R) winning the district in the same year by a 3.6% margin of victory.
Although New York's 23rd is consistently rated Republican, Reed is viewed as a vulnerable incumbent. Some Republicans worry that Reed is not putting enough effort into his re-election campaign, especially since he won by such a small margin in 2012. While Reed has received more money in campaign contributions than his Democratic challenger, Martha Robertson has raised significantly more money than most candidates in their first run for a national seat. Furthermore, Reed has received the majority of his money from outside organizations and political action committees, whereas Robertson's contributions have come almost entirely from voters.
FEC: According to data from the Federal Election Commission (FEC), Reed had raised and spent more money than Robertson as of the April Quarterly FEC reports. Reed had raised $1,868,938.3 in total campaign contributions to Robertson's $1,057,317.26, and Reed had out-spent Robertson $919,440 to $243,806.48.
- The information above was compiled following the New York candidate filing deadline. Please find all further updates on the 23rd District's election page.
|New York's 23rd Congressional District|
- U.S. House battleground districts, 2014
- New York's 23rd Congressional District
- New York's 23rd Congressional District elections, 2014
- Tom Reed
- Cook Political Report, "2014 House Race Ratings for August 8, 2014," accessed August 25, 2014
- FairVote's Monopoly Politics, "2014 House Projections," accessed August 25, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed August 25, 2014
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, "REED, Thomas W. II, (1971 - )," accessed July 10, 2014
- New York State Board of Election, "U.S. House of Representatives Results," accessed July 10, 2014
- Associated Press, "New York - Summary Vote Results," accessed July 10, 2014
- The Cook Political Report, "Partisan Voting Index, Districts of the 113th Congress," accessed May 26, 2014
- FairVote, "2014 Elections in New York," accessed May 26, 2014
- The Buffalo News, "Rep. Tom Reed faces trouble in 2014 challenge from Democrat Martha Robertson," accessed May 26, 2014