Battleground Friday: Texas' 23rd Congressional District
November 4, 2014
March 4, 2014
Cook Political Report: Lean D
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Lean D
By the Congress team
Current incumbent: Pete Gallego (D) was first elected to the 23rd District in 2012. Gallego is currently serving his first term. Prior to his election to Congress, Gallego spent 22 years in the Texas State House. Gallego is a member of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's Frontline Program. The program is designed to help protect vulnerable Democratic incumbents heading into the 2014 election.
2012 MOV: Gallego won the seat in 2012 with a margin of victory of 4.75% over freshman incumbent Francisco Canseco (R). The two candidates were separated by 9,129 votes, while third party candidates received a total of 7,946 votes.
2014 candidates: Three Republican candidates squared off in the primary election for the seat on March 4, 2014, Francisco Canseco, Robert Lowry and Will Hurd. Of those three, Hurd and Canseco advanced to the primary runoff election, with roughly 40% of the vote each. Canseco is looking to be able to face Gallego again in a rematch of their 2012 battle. Hurd is a former CIA officer and political newcomer.
What made it a Ballotpedia battleground district?: Both the Cook PVI and Fairvote's projections show the district as slightly favoring Republicans. The MOV in 2012 was under 5% and the district was won by John McCain in 2008 and Mitt Romney in 2012. Additionally, incumbent Pete Gallego is a freshman representative.
Outside spending: The conservative PAC Hispanic Leadership Fund spent $200,000 on a local Spanish language TV ad attacking Gallego on the costs of Obamacare.
FEC: Year-End reports from the Federal Election Commission showed incumbent Gallego leading with $532,348 cash on hand and total contributions for the year of $897,242. Hurd was next, ending the year with $203,625 cash on hand and contributions received totaling $324,823. Canseco ended with $182,880 cash on hand and a fundraising total of $169,332.
- The information above was compiled following the Texas primary election. Please find all further updates on the 23rd District's election page.
|Texas' 23rd Congressional District|
- U.S. House battleground districts, 2014
- Texas' 23rd Congressional District
- Texas' 23rd Congressional District elections, 2014
- Pete Gallego
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR June 26, 2014," accessed July 28, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed July 28, 2014
- Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, "DCCC Chairman Steve Israel Announces 2013-2014 Frontline Members," accessed March 5, 2013
- Daily Kos, "Daily Kos Elections' presidential results by congressional district for the 2012 and 2008 elections," accessed February 5, 2014
- YouTube, "$6,777 - Obamacare and Pete Gallego (Spanish)," October 24, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Pete Gallego Year-End," accessed February 5, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Will Hurd Year-End," accessed February 5, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Francisco Canseco Year-End," accessed February 5, 2014