Bay District Schools elections (2014)
Method of election
Bay District Schools
Bay County, Florida ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Florida
Three seats on the Bay County School Board were scheduled for general election on August 26, 2014. Incumbents Ginger Littleton, Joe Wayne Walker and Steve Moss were unopposed after the June 20, 2014 filing deadline. All three candidates won new terms on the board due to the lack of opposition.
About the district
- See also: Bay District Schools, Florida
Bay County underperformed in comparison to the rest of Florida in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 21.3 percent of Bay County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.2 percent for Florida as a whole. The median household income in Bay County was $47,364 compared to $47,309 for the state of Florida. The poverty rate in Bay County was 13.3 percent compared to 15.6 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Bay County School Board consists of five members elected to four-year terms. Each member represents a specific geographic district. There was a general election scheduled for August 26, 2014, but the election was cancelled due to a lack of candidates.
- Ginger Littleton
- Graduate, University of Alabama and Florida State University-Panama City
- Retired teacher
- Joe Wayne Walker
- Graduate, University of West Florida and Southeastern Louisiana University
- Retired teacher
- Steve Moss
- Graduate, University of Florida
- Financial consultant, Channel Resources, Inc.
No candidates received official endorsements in this election.
Candidates received a total of $3,361.84 and spent a total of $3,361.84 by July 24, 2014, according to the Bay County Supervisor of Elections.
In the District 2 race, candidates reported no contributions or expenditures.
In the District 3 race, candidates raised a total of $1,500 and spent a total of $1,500.
|Joe Wayne Walker||$1,500.00||$1,500.00|
In the District 5 race, candidates raised a total of $1,861.84 and spent a total of $1,861.84.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
The following dates were key deadlines for the school board election in 2014:
|June 20, 2014||Last day of candidate filing period|
|August 16, 2014||First day of early voting in general election|
|August 20, 2014||Last day to request mailed absentee ballot for general election|
|August 23, 2014||Last day of early voting in general election|
|August 26, 2014||General election day|
|October 25, 2014||First day of early voting in runoff election|
|October 29, 2014||Last day to request mailed absentee ballot for runoff election|
|November 1, 2014||Last day of early voting in runoff election|
|November 4, 2014||Runoff election day (if necessary)|
Additional elections on the ballot
Area residents will vote on county and statewide races on November 4, 2014. Residents of Bay County will vote on races for county commission and county judge seats. Voters will also decide on a statewide ballot measure to amend the state constitution to allow the use of medical marijuana. The November 4, 2014 ballot includes races for state legislature, state executive and U.S. House seats.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Bay + County + Schools + Florida"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Bay District Schools, Florida
- Florida school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Bay County, Florida ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Florida
- Florida and Alabama elections lead to runoffs, school boards to welcome newcomers
- The News Herald, "7 incumbents will return to office," June 20, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Bay County, Florida," accessed July 24, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed July 24, 2014
- Bay County Supervisor of Elections, "Home," accessed July 24, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Bay County Supervisor of Elections, "Current Candidates," accessed July 24, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "Calendar of Election Dates," accessed June 11, 2014
|2014 Bay District Schools Elections|
|Bay County, Florida|
|Election date:||August 26, 2014|
|Candidates:||District 2: • Ginger Littleton|
District 5: • Steve Moss
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|