Bear Lake School District, Idaho
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Idaho school district websites
- Academic information for the district, schools and state are provided.
- Site does not have a search function.
- Does not provide information on budget, taxes, contracts, audits, and background checks.
- Does not explain how to make public records requests.
- Board meetings and board members are not listed.
- Administrative officials are not listed. Contact information is not listed.
The school board controls school property, establishes, organizes, and operates the schools of the district, including: establishing schools, adopting enrollment plans, providing for school elimination and consolidation, cooperating with school boards of adjoining districts in maintaining schools, maintaining the school year schedule and other more specific duties as outlined in the Idaho statute.
It operates, controls and supervises the district's public schools as well as determines the rate of school district taxes, with the option of two or more school districts operating and financing educational programs together.
No information available regarding school board members.
The Idaho Public School System is supervised by the State Board of Education (SBOE), which is the policy-making body for public education in the state. The SBOE provides oversight and governance for K – 20 education levels.
Current Board of Education members include:
|Richard Westerberg, President||Preston||March 1, 2014|
|Kenneth Edmunds, Vice President||Twin Falls||March 1, 2013|
|Don Soltman, Secretary||Twin Lakes||March 1, 2014|
|Emma Atchley||Ashton||March 1, 2010|
|Paul Agidius||Moscow||March 1, 2011|
|Rod Lewis||Boise||March 1, 2010|
|Tom Luna, Superintendent of Public Instruction||Boise|
|Milford Terrell||Boise||March 1, 2012|
No information available on teacher contracts for the district.
According to the most recently compiled school budget report, the district's:
- Total Revenue: $8,682,000
- Total Expenditures: $8,442,000
- Revenue per student: $6,896
- Expenditures per student: $6,705
- Main article: Idaho academic performance
Idaho’s educational assessment system is administered from kindergarten through high school and focuses primarily on math, reading, and language use skills. Tests include the Idaho Reading Indicator (IRI), the Idaho Direct Math Assessment (DMA), Idaho Direct Math Assessment (DMA), the Idaho English Language Assessment (IELA), and the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), as well as the SAT and ACT.
Idaho’s accountability system monitors state and federal goals for increased student achievement; the system includes consequences and rewards for districts and school based on yearly results. Per federal and state law, every school and district must meet annual academic performance goals in reading and math, referred to as Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP). High schools are required to meeting graduation goals and middle and elementary are required to meet a third academic indicator goal. Schools and districts that do not make AYP are identified as in improvement.
According to the Idaho Department of Education, the Bear Lake School District did not meet the AYP goal in the 2008-2009 school year and is currently in its third "school improvement" year. AYP is used by the federal No Child Left Behind (NCLB) program to determine the academic performance of schools.
|Year||Reading (% proficient)||Math (% proficient)||Language (% proficient)||Graduation rate (%)|
- Main article: Idaho school choice
Bear Lake School District is comprised of three elementary schools, one middle school and two high schools, however the district does not appear to have any charter school options.
The state of Idaho has a charter school law that passed in 1998. In 2009, a total of 37 charter schools were approved. Additionally, Idaho has two enrollment policies: inter-district and intra-district. In other words, students are permitted to enroll in any school within their neighborhood school district or in any alternative district in the state.
- Bear Lake School District
- Bear Lake School District report card
- Great Schools - Bear Lake School District
- Public School Review - Bear Lake School District
- Academic Performance link
- Idaho Statutes,"Title 33, Chapter 5," retrieved April 1, 2010
- ‘Idaho State Board of Education’, August 9, 2010
- ‘Idaho State Board of Education’, Board Members, August 9, 2010
- Public School Review,"Bear Lake school district," retrieved April 4, 2010
- ‘Idaho State Department of Education’, Statistics – Test Reports, August 9, 2010
- Idaho Department of Education,"Bear Lake School District Report Card," retrieved April 4, 2010
- Center for Union Facts,"Idaho," retrieved April 1, 2010
- Idaho Department of Education,"Charter Schools," retrieved April 4, 2010
- Idaho State Department of Education,"Charter school development by school and type 1998-2009," retrieved October 15, 2009
- The Heritage Foundation,"Idaho School Choice," retrieved October 15, 2009
State of Idaho
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Lands | Director of Labor | Public Utilities Commission |