Bedford County Public Schools, Virginia
|Bedford County |
|Bedford County, Virginia|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Douglas R. Schuch|
|Number of schools:||22|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
About the districtBedford County, Virginia. The county seat of Bedford County is Bedford. Bedford County is home to 69,825 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau.
Bedford County underperformed compared to the rest of Virginia in terms of higher education achievement in 2013. The United States Census Bureau found that 25.0 percent of Bedford County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 35.2 percent for Virginia as a whole. The median household income in Bedford County was $57,596 compared to $63,907 for the state of Virginia. The poverty rate in Bedford County was 8.2 percent compared to 11.3 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
The current superintendent of Bedford County Public Schools is Dr. Douglas R. Schuch. His education background includes a bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering from Duke University, a master's degree in Secondary Science Curriculum and Instruction, and a Doctor of Philosophy in Education Leadership from George Mason University.
The Bedford County School Board is composed of seven members elected by district. They are elected to serve four-year terms that are staggered.
|Bedford County School Board|
|Member||Role||District Name||Term Ends|
|Gary Hostutler||Chair||District 4||2017|
|Julie M. Bennington||Vice Chair||District 5||2015|
|Richard P. Downey||Member||District 1||2015|
|Kelly Harmony||Member||District 6||2015|
|John H. Hicks, Jr.||Member||District 3||2017|
|Jason W. Johnson||Member||District 2||2017|
|Kevin Wills||Member||District 7||2015|
School board elections
Three seats were up for election on the Bedford County School board for Districts 2, 3 and 4. Four seats will be up in November 2015.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
For advanced degrees, teachers add a 5% supplement to base salary, a 7.5% for additional hours and 10% for a doctorate degree.
|Bedford County School Board Teacher Salary Scale 2012-2013|
|Years Experience||230 Day Salary|
Schools in Bedford County
Bedford County operates 22 schools listed below in alphabetical order.
|Bedford County schools|
|Bedford Elementary School|
|Bedford Middle School|
|Bedford Primary School|
|Bedford Science and Technology Center|
|Big Island Elementary School|
|Body Camp Elementary School|
|Boonsboro Elementary School|
|Forest Elementary School|
|Forest Middle School|
|Goodview Elementary School|
|Huddleston Elementary School|
|Jefferson Forest High School|
|Liberty High School|
|Moneta Elementary School|
|Montvale Elementary School|
|New London Academy|
|Otter River Elementary School|
|Staunton River High School|
|Staunton River Middle School|
|Stewartsville Elementary School|
|Thaxton Elementary School|
|Thomas Jefferson Elementary School|
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The [[Virginia Department of Education] School Division Report Card reports Bedford County Public Schools as having a student population of 10,841 and 21 schools in the division.
Bedford County Public School Division made AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment||Made Adequate Yearly Progress for 2009?|
|Bedford Elementary||2 - 6||449||No|
|Bedford Middle||7 - 8||472||No|
|Bedford Primary||Pre-K - 2||360||No|
|Big Island Elementary||K - 6||216||No|
|Body Camp Elementary||Pre-K - 5||177||Yes|
|Boonsboro Elementary||K - 5||321||Yes|
|Forest Elementary||K - 5||463||Yes|
|Forest Middle||6 - 8||1,024||No|
|Goodview Elementary||Pre-K - 5||529||Yes|
|Huddleston Elementary||Pre-K - 5||214||Yes|
|Jefferson Forest High||9 - 12||1,302||Yes|
|Liberty High||9 - 12||938||Yes|
|Moneta Elementary||Pre-K - 5||203||Yes|
|Montvale Elementary||Pre-K - 6||293||Yes|
|New London Academy Elementary||Pre-K - 5||371||Yes|
|Otter River Elementary||Pre-K - 5||237||Yes|
|Staunton River High||9 - 12||1,113||Yes|
|Staunton River Middle||6 - 8||851||No|
|Stewartsville Elementary||Pre-K - 5||416||No|
|Thaxton Elementary||Pre-K - 6||257||Yes|
|Thomas Jefferson Elementary||Pre-K - 5||635||Yes|
|Transparency grading process|
Last updated on June 17, 2010.
- Budget information for the 2010-2011 academic year is available.
- The website includes a link to the School Report Cards on the Virginia Department of Education website, as well as SOL testing information and links.
- School board meeting dates, minutes, and agendas are present.
- Contact information is available for the administration and school board
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- Teacher contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
- The website does not include information on background checks.
- The website does not include information on audits.
- The website does not include information about accessing public records.
- School board elections portal
- Bedford County Public Schools elections (2013)
- List of school districts in Virginia
- Bedford Public Schools
- Virginia Department of Education
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Virginia Education Association
- United States Census Bureau, "Bedford County, Virginia," accessed January 27, 2015
- Virginia Department of Elections, "Election Results," accessed September 17, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Superintendent Accessed September 18, 2013
- Bedford County School Board, "2013-2014 Expenditure Budget" accessed September 17, 2013
- Bedford County Public Schools, "2014-2015 Budget Summary," accessed December 16, 2014
- 2013-2014 Albemarle County Public Schools Teacher Salary Scale" accessed September 17, 2013
- School Directory Accessed September 19, 2013
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010 (dead link)
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Bedford County Public Schools, June 17, 2010
- ‘Bedford County Public Schools’, 2010-2011 Budget, June 17, 2010 (dead link)
- ‘Bedford County Public Schools’, Parents, June 17, 2010
- ‘Bedford County Public Schools’, BoardDocs Public, June 17, 2010 (dead link)
- ‘Bedford County Public Schools’, School Board Office Staff Directory, June 17, 2010
- ‘Bedford County Public Schools’, School Board Members, June 17, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010