Bellevue Public Schools, Nebraska
|Bellevue Public Schools|
|Number of schools:||20|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Nina Wolford|
About the districtSarpy County, Nebraska. The county seat is Papillion. Sarpy County is home to 169,331 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau.
Sarpy County overperformed compared to the rest of Nebraska in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 35.8 percent of Sarpy County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 28.1 percent for Nebraska as a whole. The median household income for Sarpy County was $69,269 compared to $51,381 for the state of Nebraska. The percentage of people below poverty level for Sarpy County was 6.6 percent while it was 12.4 percent for the state of Nebraska.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
The current superintendent of Bellevue Public Schools is Frank Harwood. One of five finalists for the position, he was hired in May 2011. Harwood began his career in education as a science teacher at Perry-Lecompton High School in 1993. From there he went on to serve as an assistant principal at Leavenworth High School and principal at Central Junior High School. In 2008 he became the director of technology for the Lawrence school district and the following year took over as chief operations officer for Lawrence. He was part of the inaugural graduating class from the University of Nebraska at Omaha's Midlands Superintendents Academy in June 2014.
The Bellevue Board of Education consists of six members elected at-large to four-year terms. A representative of the military community may be invited to serve as a seventh member in an advisory capacity. School board members are not compensated for their services.
|Bellevue Board of Education|
|Member||Assumed Office||Term Ends|
School board elections
- See also: Bellevue Public Schools elections (2014)
Members of the Bellevue Board of Education are elected to four-year terms. Elections are held in November during even years. Three seats were up for election in 2014 and three seats will be on the ballot in 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The Bellevue Board of Education maintains the following policy on public testimony during board meetings:
In accordance with Board Policy, Code: 204.12, the following regulations are established for participation by the public or the professional staff at Board of Education meetings.
The table below displays the budget for Bellevue Public Schools:
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
- School board elections portal
- Bellevue Public Schools elections (2014)
- Nebraska school districts
- List of school districts in Nebraska
- Sarpy County, Nebraska ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Nebraska
- Bellevue Public Schools
- Nebraska State Education Association
- Bellevue, Nebraska
- Sarpy County, Nebraska
- Nebraska Department of Education
- Nebraska Association of School Boards
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Sarpy County, Nebraska," accessed September 3, 2014
- Sarpy County Elections, "Voter Registration Statistics As of September 1, 2014," accessed September 4, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Lawrence Journal-World, "Lawrence district’s Frank Harwood accepts superintendent’s job in Nebraska," May 14, 2011
- Omaha.com, "Harwood completes Superintendents Academy," June 2014
- Bellevue Public Schools, "Superintendent's Pay Transparency Notice," accessed November 13, 2014
- Bellevue Public Schools, "Board Policy – Membership," accessed September 4, 2014
- Bellevue Public Schools, "Board Policies-206.04P Compensation," accessed November 13, 2014
- Bellevue Public Schools, "School Board policies-204.12R Public Participation at Board of Education Meetings," accessed November 13, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Bellevue Public Schools, "Annual Estimate of Receipts and Expenditures 2013-2014," accessed December 11, 2014