Beloit School District Bond Measure (April 2012)
This measure was approved
- YES 2,888
- NO 2,543
This measure sought to issue a bond in the amount of $70 million in order to help pay for new roofs, swimming pool maintenance costs and other facility repair costs as needed in the district. The Todd Elementary school was one of the facilities which will be expanded since the bond measure was approved. The building will be expanded to include up to third grade and would allow for more students. Traffic congestion around the school will also be addressed as many parents have noted their frustration with wait times to pick up children.
Since this measure was approved an addition of $12 million would be added to the current interest repayments made in the district adding to a total of $82,897,931. Though the new bond repayment will be at a lower rate than the previous bond so the total cost could still go down over time.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|BE IT RESOLVED by the School Board of the School District of Beloit, Rock County, Wisconsin that there shall be issued pursuant to Chapter 67 of the Wisconsin Statutes, general obligation bonds in an amount not to exceed $70,000,000 for the public purpose of paying the cost of constructing additions to and repair, remodeling and improvement projects at District elementary school buildings and sites to add new and better classroom space, increase security and improve efficiency; demolition work; acquiring land and constructing a new intermediate school; constructing additions to and renovating Cunningham Elementary school for use as an intermediate school; constructing a new pool, tennis courts and a fitness center at the high school; relocating administrative offices and charter schools; upgrading technology and acquiring furniture, fixtures and equipment.|
- Wisconsin State Journal, "More than two dozen school referendums on April 3 ballot," March 31, 2012
- Beloit Daily News, "Referendum: Beloit Memorial High School," March 17, 2012
- Beloit School District, Referendum Information
- Beloit Daily News, "Board of Education reconsiders referendum, votes to keep it," January 11, 2012
- Beloit Daily News, "Referendum: Todd Elementary School," March 9, 2012
- Beloit Daily News, "School district bond interest adds $12M to referendum cost," March 19, 2012
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.