Belton Independent School District elections (2014)
Method of election
Belton Independent School District
Bell County, Texas ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Texas
About the districtBelton, Texas, a city located in Bell County. According to the United States Census Bureau, Belton is home to 19,409 residents. Belton Independent School District is the 105th-largest school district in Texas, serving 9,552 students during the 2011-2012 school year.
Belton outperformed the rest of Texas in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 27.1 percent of Belton residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.3 percent for Texas as a whole. The median household income in Belton was $50,066 compared to $51,563 for the state of Texas. The poverty rate in Belton was 17.7 percent compared to 17.4 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Belton Board of Trustees consists of seven members elected to three-year terms. There was no primary election and a general election took place on May 10, 2014. Two seats will be on the ballot in May 2015 and three seats will be up for election in May 2016.
Candidates for the Board of Trustees submitted paperwork with the school district secretary by February 28, 2014. Each candidate must be at least 18 years old, a registered voter and a resident of the district for at least six months. Members filed two campaign finance reports with the district clerk prior to the election unless they did not receive or spend $500 during the campaign.
- Jason Carothers
- Graduate, Tarleton State University
- Construction professional
- Donald Wayne Copeland
- CEO, Caring for Gods Kids, Inc.
- Amanda Winkler
- Graduate, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
- Owner, A+ Learning Preschool
|Belton Independent School District, At-Large General Election, 3-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Jason Carothers Incumbent||49.2%||218|
|Nonpartisan||Amanda Winkler Incumbent||42.4%||188|
|Nonpartisan||Donald Wayne Copeland||8.4%||37|
|Source: Belton Independent School District, "Board Meeting Minutes," May 19, 2014|
No candidate received an endorsement in this election.
No candidate filed a campaign finance report with the district office prior to the election.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Belton Independent School District election in 2014:
|January 29, 2014||First day to file paperwork for ballot placement|
|February 28, 2014||Last day to file paperwork for ballot placement|
|March 5, 2014||Last day to withdraw from ballot|
|April 10, 2014||Due date for first campaign finance report|
|April 10, 2014||Last day for voter registration with county clerk|
|May 1, 2014||Last day to request mailed ballot from county clerk|
|May 2, 2014||Due date for second campaign finance report|
|May 10, 2014||Election day|
|May 21, 2014||Final day for canvassing of votes|
|July 15, 2014||Last campaign finance report for election|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Belton Board of Trustees election shared the ballot with the mayoral race on May 10, 2014.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Belton + Independent + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Belton Independent School District, Texas
- Texas school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Bell County, Texas ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Texas
- United States Census Bureau, "Belton, Texas," accessed February 19, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed May 5, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "Historical Election Results," accessed February 19, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Belton Independent School District, "School Board Trustee Election," accessed February 19, 2014
- News Channel 25, "2013 May School Elections," accessed February 19, 2014
- Killeen Daily Herald, "4 candidates file for city’s May election," January 30, 2014
|2014 Belton Independent School District Elections|
|Election date:||May 10, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Jason Carothers • Donald Wayne Copeland • Amanda Winkler|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|