|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 45|
|1980 - present|
|January 3, 2016|
|Years in position||34|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|First elected||November 6, 1979|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Birthday||January 6, 1944|
Malone attended East Central Junior College. His professional experience includes working as a businessman and cattle rancher.
During the 2012-2013 legislative session, Malone served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Ways and Means|
|• Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks|
During the 2010-2011 legislative session, Malone served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2010|
|• Corrections, Chair|
|• Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks|
On November 8, 2011, Malone won re-election to District 45 of the Mississippi House of Representatives. He ran unopposed in the August 2 primary and defeated Jay Mathis in the November 8 general election.
District 45 was targeted by the GOP as a possible pickup in its attempt to flip the state House to Republican control for the first time. He was first elected to the chamber in Reconstruction. The Mississippi GOP's push hoped to mirror successful efforts in other southern states, including North Carolina and Louisiana, to break the last vestiges of the old Democratic "solid south."
|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 45 General Election, 2011|
|Democrat||Bennett Malone Incumbent||50.6%||3,157|
On November 6, 2007, Malone was re-elected in District 45, defeating Republican challenger Jay Mathis.
|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 45 (2007)|
|Bennett Malone (D)||3,147||56.04%|
|Jay W. Mathis (R)||2,469||43.96%|
In 2011, Malone received $32,070 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Mississippi House of Representatives 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Bennett Malone's campaign in 2011|
|Mississippi Hospital Association||$2,500|
|Total Raised in 2011||$32,070|
|Total Votes received in 2011||3,157|
|Cost of each vote received||$10.16|
In 2007, Malone collected $29,350 in donations.
Listed below are the five largest contributors to his campaign.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from January 7 through April 2.
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee: Legislator "Business and Jobs" Report Card
- Legislators are scored on "economic growth, jobs and other broad job-related issues."
Malone is a member of the Cattlemen's Association and the Masons.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Bennett + Malone + Mississippi + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Mississippi State Legislature
- Mississippi House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Joint Committees
- Mississippi state legislative districts
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2009, 2007, 2005, 2003, 1999
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Malone
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2011 Primary Election Results," accessed February 13, 2014
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "Official 2011 General Election Results," accessed February 13, 2014
- RealClearPolitics, "Tea party targets some Dem seats in Miss. House," August 10, 2011
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2007 Statewide Elections," accessed February 14, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Mississippi 2011 - Candidates," accessed February 13, 2014
- Follow the Money, 2007 contributions to Bennett Malone
- StateScape, "Session Schedules," accessed July 29, 2014
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee, "Legislator 'Business & Jobs' Report Card - 2014 Legislative Session," accessed August 30, 2014
|Mississippi House of Representatives District 45
| Succeeded by|
State of Mississippi
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce | Executive Director of Environmental Quality | Executive Director of Employment Security | Chairman of Public Service Commission |