Bentonville Public Schools elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Bentonville Public Schools
Benton County, Arkansas ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Arkansas
About the district
- See also: Bentonville Public Schools, Arkansas
Benton County outperformed the rest of Arkansas in terms of its poverty rate, median rates of average household income and higher education achievement in 2011. The poverty rate in Benton County was 11.8 percent compared to 18.4 percent for the entire state. The median household income in Benton County was $52,159 compared to $40,149 for the state of Arkansas. The US Census also found that 27.6 percent of Benton County residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to 19.6 percent in Arkansas.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
Method of board member selection
The Bentonville school board consists of seven members elected to five-year terms by geographic electoral districts. There was no primary election and the general election was held on September 17, 2013. One seat was on the ballot in 2013.
Individuals interested in running for the board began circulating nominating petitions on June 9, 2013. Candidates began to file their petitions on July 2, 2013 and the filing deadline for the 2013 general election was July 9, 2013. Each candidate had to file a petition of candidacy, political practices pledge, affidavit of eligibility and nomination petitions with at least 20 valid signatures to the county clerk.
- Rudy Upshaw
|Bentonville Public Schools, Zone 6 General Election, 5-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Rudy Upshaw Incumbent||43.2%||577|
|Source: 5 News Online, "Challenger Beats Incumbent In Bentonville School Board Election," September 17, 2013|
No endorsements were made in this election.
No campaign contributions or expenditures were made in this election.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
What was at stake?
There was one seat on the school board up for election on September 17, 2013. Incumbent Rudy Upshaw, who was appointed to the board in 2012, filed for re-election in Zone 6 but was defeated by challenger Matt Burgess.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Bentonville Public Schools election in 2013:
|June 9, 2013||First day to pick up nominating petitions|
|July 2, 2013||First day to file nominating petitions|
|July 9, 2013||Last day to file nominating petitions|
|July 15, 2013||Last day to file a Statement of Financial Interest form with the county clerk|
|August 18, 2013||Last day to register to vote in the annual school election|
|September 17, 2013||Election day|
|October 8, 2013||Runoff election day, if necessary|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election only shared the ballot with other municipal elections and a millage, which was approved by a vote of 8,132 to 3,429. The millage increased taxes by 2.9-mill in order to fund the construction of a second high school in the district.
- Bentonville Public Schools, Arkansas
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Benton County, Arkansas ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Arkansas
- United States Census Bureau, "Benton County, Arkansas," accessed November 21, 2013
- Arkansas Secretary of State, "Election Results," accessed November 21, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Bentonville Public Schools, "Board of Education Policies 2013-14," accessed November 21, 2013
- Arkansas Secretary of State, "2013 Annual School Board Election Dates," accessed November 19, 2013
- Arkansas Secretary of State, "Financial Disclosure Search," accessed November 21, 2013
- Dave Perozek, NWA Online, "Two Running For Bentonville School Board," September 7, 2013
- Dave Perozek, NWA Online, "Voters approve Bentonville millage increase for 2nd high school," September 17, 2013