Berkeley County Schools elections (2014)
Method of election
Berkeley County Schools
Berkeley County, West Virginia ballot measures
Local ballot measures, West Virginia
Three seats on the Berkeley County Schools school board were up for general election on May 13, 2014. Incumbents Darin Gilpin and Todd M. Beckwith and newcomer Patrick H. Murphy won election against Michelle Barnes-Russell.
About the district
- See also: Berkeley County Schools, West Virginia
Berkeley County outperformed in comparison to the rest of West Virginia in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 19.4% of Berkeley County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 17.9% for West Virginia as a whole. The median household income in Berkeley County was $53,332 compared to $40,400 for the state of West Virginia. The poverty rate in Berkeley County was 12.7% compared to 17.6% for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Berkeley school board consists of five members elected to four-year terms. Board members are elected at-large, but represent different geographical districts. No more than two members elected from any magisterial district may serve on the board during a given term. There was no primary election and the general election was held on May 13, 2014. Three seats were on the ballot in 2014 and two seats are on the ballot in 2015.
Candidates began to file affidavits of candidacy on January 13, 2014. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was January 25, 2014.
- Darin Gilpin
- Graduate, West Virginia University and The Ohio State University, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Todd M. Beckwith
- Graduate, West Virginia University
- Senior Vice President, City National Bank
|Berkeley County Schools, At-Large General Election, 4-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Patrick H. Murphy||28.1%||4,197|
|Nonpartisan||Todd M. Beckwith Incumbent||26.7%||3,987|
|Nonpartisan||Darin Gilpin Incumbent||25.9%||3,876|
|Source: West Virginia Secretary of State, "Official Election Results," accessed June 23, 2014|
No candidate received an official endorsement in this election.
No candidate filed a campaign finance report with the West Virginia Secretary of State.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Berkeley County Schools election in 2014:
|January 13, 2014||First day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|January 25, 2014||Last day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|February 7, 2014||First day to request an absentee ballot|
|April 30, 2014||Early voting begins|
|May 7, 2014||Last day to request an absentee ballot|
|May 10, 2014||Early voting ends|
|May 13, 2014||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
In addition to the school board election, residents of Berkeley County voted in a county council election, a County Republican Executive Committee election, a County Democrat Executive Committee election and a Conservation District Supervisor election.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Berkeley + County + Schools + West + Virginia"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- West Virginia
- Berkeley County Schools, West Virginia
- West Virginia school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Berkeley County, West Virginia ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, West Virginia
- United States Census Bureau, "Berkeley County, West Virginia," accessed March 3, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed March 3, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State," West Virginia Voter Registration," accessed March 3, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Berkeley County, West Virginia, "Election 2014" accessed March 4, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "2014 Election Information," accessed February 19. 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State," "Elections," accessed March 4, 2014
|2014 Berkeley County Schools Elections|
|Berkeley County, West Virginia|
|Election date:||May 13, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Darin Gilpin • Todd M. Beckwith • Patrick H. Murphy • Michelle Barnes-Russell|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|