Berkeley Unified School District parcel tax, Measure H (November 2010)

From Ballotpedia
Jump to: navigation, search
School bonds
& taxes
Portal:School Bond and Tax Elections
Bond elections
All years and states
Property tax elections
All years and states
How voting works
State comparisons
County evaluations
Approval rates
A Berkeley Unified School District parcel tax, Measure H ballot question was on the November 2, 2010 ballot for voters in the Berkeley Unified School District in Alameda County, where it was approved.

Measure H imposed a tax of 6.31 cents per square foot on residential properties and 9.46 cents per square foot on commercial properties. A two-bedroom home with 1,000 square feet would pay $63 a year. The tax is expected to raise $5 million/year if approved.[1] The tax would last for 10 years.[2]

A 2/3rds supermajority vote was required for approval.

Election results

Measure H
Approveda Yes 33,946 80.88%
These final, certified results are from the Alameda County elections office.


Karen Hemphill, president of Berkeley Unified's school board, supported Measure H.[1]


The editorial board of the Oakland Tribune encouraged the paper's readers to vote "no," saying, "If voters pass Measure I, also on the November ballot, property owners will be paying more to retire construction bonds, bringing the total of property tax supplements for schools to about $992 a year for a small house and $1,823 for a large house. Considering the economy and the large burden taxpayers face, it's premature to asked voters to extend a parcel tax that still has three years left."[3]

Text of measure

The question on the ballot:

Measure H: To provide essential maintenance of schools and grounds, shall Berkeley Unified School District continue its existing special tax of 6.31¢ / square foot on residential buildings and 9.46¢ / square foot on commercial buildings, and $20 on unimproved parcels with annual cost-of-living adjustments for 10 years? Revenues maintain school buildings, classrooms, playgrounds, roofs, electrical systems, and address fire and safety hazards. The state cannot take the funds. An independent committee oversees funds.[4]

See also

External links

Suggest a link