|North Carolina State Auditor|
|2008 - Present|
|Years in position||6|
|Predecessor||Les Merritt (R)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Bachelor's||East Carolina University|
|Birthday||April 22, 1954|
|Profession||Certified Public Accountant|
In November 2013, Wood was named as one of the 25 most powerful women in accounting by CPA Practice Advisor magazine. She was the only elected official on the list.
Wood grew up in eastern North Carolina on her family's farm near Cove City. She received a B.S. in accounting from East Carolina University in 1984 and became a certified public accountant three years later.
Wood has worked in both the state auditor's office and for the state treasurer and has 15 years of auditing experience. She left the auditor's office in 2007 to teach professional courses for the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants. Immediately before her election, Wood worked for the American Institute of CPAs as a case investigator of allegedly sub-standard audits.
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting, East Carolina University
State Auditor (2009-Present)
Wood won re-election in 2012. She was unopposed in the May 8 Democratic primary. No Republican won at least 40 percent in the primary and the top two vote getters, Greg Dority and Debra Goldman, went to a runoff on July 17. Dority, however, declined the runoff. Wood defeated Goldman in the general election on November 6, 2012.
Of her campaign, Wood stated, "The Office of State Auditor is critical to taxpayers in that it provides oversight to how tax dollars are spent. I am the only candidate running for this office that has the qualifications to meet the demands of the Office to ensure that NC citizens' tax dollars are being properly accounted for and reported and to identify fraudulent and wasteful spending in State Government."
|North Carolina State Auditor General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Beth Wood Incumbent||53.7%||2,299,541|
|Election Results via NC State Board of Elections.|
The official North Carolina State Board of Elections voting guide listed the following endorsements:
- Walter L Williams, Director
- Dr. Jasper 1- Lewis
- Emily's List
- Lillian's list
- William Broadus, CPA, PC
- NC State AFL-CIO
- Durham People's Alliance Political Action Committee
- Raleigh-Wake Citizens' Association
|North Carolina Auditor, 2008|
|Democratic||Beth A. Wood||53.6%||2,175,242|
|Republican||Leslie Merritt Incumbent||46.4%||1,885,229|
Comprehensive donor information for Wood is available dating back to 2008. Based on available campaign finance records, Wood raised a total of $531,784 during that time period. This information was last updated on May 20, 2013.
|Beth Wood's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||North Carolina Auditor||$298,649|
|2010||North Carolina Auditor||$125,566|
|2008||North Carolina Auditor||$107,569|
|Grand Total Raised||$531,784|
Wood won re-election to the position of North Carolina State Auditor in 2012. During that election cycle, Wood raised a total of $298,649.
|North Carolina State Auditor 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Beth Wood's campaign in 2012|
|Lillian's List of North Carolina||$5,000|
|Jessie Taliaferro for City Council||$3,500|
|Jasper L. Lewis, Jr.||$2,500|
|Ward & Smith||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$298,649|
|Total Votes received in 2012||2,299,541|
|Cost of each vote received||$0.13|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of Beth Wood's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|Beth Wood's Campaign Contributions|
North Carolina State Auditor
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$392,372|
|Top 5 contributors||Jim Long Election Committee||$4,317|
|Beth Ann Wood||$3,648|
|Emily's List and Wake County Democratic Women||$2,000 each|
|4 individual donors||$2,000 each|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Beth + Wood + North + Carolina + Auditor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- North Carolina State Auditor Beth Wood
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010, 2008
- Official campaign website
- Re-elect Beth Wood for NC State Auditor Campaign Facebook page
- Beth Wood on Twitter
- Wood's answers to Indy Week's 2012 candidate questionnaire
- North Carolina State Auditor, "Beth A. Wood," accessed September 15, 2012
- News and Observer, "State auditor named as one of 25 most influential," November 7, 2013
- North Carolina Auditor, "Beth A. Wood," accessed December 19, 2011
- Beth Wood Campaign.com, "Career highlights," accessed December 19, 2011
- Beth Wood for Auditor, "Bio," October 27, 2012
- Reflector, "GOP slot for NC auditor heads for summer runoff," May 9, 2012
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "2012 General Election Voter Guide," accessed September 25, 2012
- QNotes, "Statewide candidate endorsements announced," September 26, 2012
- Charlotte Observer, "Our Council of State endorsements, part 2," October 24, 2012
- 2008 State Auditor General Election Results
- Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for Beth Wood," accessed May 30, 2013
- Follow the Money.org
Les Merritt (R)
|North Carolina State Auditor
| Succeeded by|