|Alabama State Senate District 35|
|March 29, 2013 - Present|
|November 5, 2014|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||March 12, 2013|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Murphy High School|
|Bachelor's||University of South Alabama|
|Master's||Owen Graduate School of Management, Vanderbilt University (1990)|
|Profession||Small Business Owner|
Hightower owns a private practice that focuses on corporate strategic consulting.
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Alabama State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Beau Doolittle was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Bill Hightower was unopposed in the Republican primary. Doolittle will face Hightower in the general election.
Hightower won a special election for Alabama State Senate District 35. The seat was vacant due to Ben Brooks's (R) election as a circuit judge in Mobile County on November 6, 2012. Once he was sworn into the new position a special election had to be held to fill the vacancy. A special primary was scheduled for January 29, 2013. Candidates had until December 13, 2012 to file. After no Democrats filed, the primary became the general election. A runoff between the top two vote-getters, Hightower and Jim Barton, took place March 12, which Hightower won.
HIghtower and his wife, Susan, have three children. Hightower moved to Mobile, Alabama in 1968.
Hightower is an advisory board member to Outback America, a Christian organization that holds family camps. He is also board chairman of a local Christian School, a committee member of the Mobile Republican Party and serves on the Alabama State Health Planning Council.
- Alabama State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Local 15, "Ala. Senate District 35 to Hold Special Election," December 4, 2012
- Al.com, "Three Republicans qualify for state Senate District 35 special election," December 12, 2012
- Local 15, "District 35 State Senate Race Goes to a Runoff," January 29, 2013
- CBS42.com, "Hightower wins Alabama Senate District 35 runoff," March 12, 2013
- Bio submission to Ballotpedia, January 1, 2013
Ben Brooks (R)
|Alabama State Senate District 35
March 29, 2013 - present
| Succeeded by|