|Alabama State Senate District 28|
|November 3, 2010-Present|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Alabama House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||Auburn University, 1962|
|Birthday||March 19, 1940|
Beasley is the operator of the Clayton Drug Company, Clio Drug Company and Louisville Drug Store.
Beasley served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry Committee
- Constitution, Campaign Finance, Ethics and Elections Committee
- Finance and Taxation General Fund Committee
- Health Committee
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Alabama State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Incumbent Billy Beasley was unopposed in the Democratic primary. John Carroll was unopposed in the Republican primary. Beasley will face John Savage (R) in the general election. Savage was selected as a replacement candidate on July 21, 2014, after Carroll withdrew.
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2010
Beasley ran for district 28 of the Alabama State Senate. He defeated opponents Locy Baker, Howard C. Burton, Johnny Ford, and Sam Harris in the primary. He the defeated Republican Kim West in the November 2 general election.
|Alabama State Senate, District 28 General election (2010)|
|Billy Beasley (D)||28,619|
|Kim West (R)||12,033|
|Alabama State Senate, District 28 Democratic Primary (2010)|
|Billy Beasley (D)||10,361|
|Johnny Ford (D)||5,999|
|Locy Baker (D)||3,081|
|Howard C. Burton (D)||1,366|
|Sam Harris (D)||596|
|Alabama State Senate, District 28 Democratic Primary Runoff (2010)|
|Billy Beasley (D)||10,012|
|Johnny Ford (D)||6,056|
Beasley raised $42,241 for his campaign.
In 2010, Beasley raised $858,539 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Beasley, William M||$150,000|
|Beasley Sr, Jere L||$110,213|
|Environmental Campaign Fund||$45,000|
|Alabama Education Association||$35,000|
In 2006, Beasley collected $42,241 in donations.
Below are Beasley's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2006 election:
|AL Education Assoc||$10,000|
|Seth Hammett Campaign||$5,000|
|AL State Employees Assoc||$1,612|
|Sound Economy PAC||$1,500|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Note: As of October 2014, we were unable to locate any scorecards for the state of Alabama. If you are aware of a scorecard Ballotpedia has not included please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beasley and his wife, Rebecca, have five children.
Beasley is the president of Pratts Station, LLC, the Alabama Pharmaceutical Association and Clayton Rotary Club. He is a member of the Auburn Alumni Association, Barbour County Hospital Board, Clayton United Methodist Church and Eufaula/Barbour County Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Billy + Beasley + Alabama + Senate." Because the results are from a google search, it is possible that some of the links below are not actually related to the legislator.
- Alabama State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Billy Beasley's campaign website
- Senate website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Project Vote Smart - Billy Beasley
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006
- Twitter, "@JohnSavage28," accessed September 9, 2014
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "2010 Democratic primary results," accessed April 15, 2014
- Democratic Primary Runoff results
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed July 18, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2006 election results," accessed April 15, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Alabama House spending, 2006," November 4, 2006
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money - 2006 Campaign contributions
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Beasley
|Alabama State Senate District 28
| Succeeded by|
|Alabama House District 84
| Succeeded by|
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|