|Pennsylvania House of Representatives, District 164|
|Lansdowne Pennsylvania Borough Councilperson|
|Bachelor's||Temple University, 1996|
|J.D.||University of New Hampshire Law School, 1999|
Smith served as a Lansdowne Pennsylvania Borough Councilperson from 2009 to 2011.
Smith earned his B.A. in Journalism, Minor in Political Science from Temple University in 1996 and his J.D. from the University of New Hampshire Law School in 1999. His professional experience includes working as an Assistant District Attorney for Philadelphia County from 1999 to 2004.
Smith's campaign website highlighted the following issues:
Fighting the Tom Corbett Agenda
- Excerpt: "In Harrisburg, Billy Smith will fight tooth and nail to fully fund our public schools and protect women's reproductive rights."
- Excerpt: "Billy will fight against the extremist attacks against women’s reproductive rights lodged by Republicans and misguided Democrats alike. He will not stand idly by while a woman’s rights to make her own healthcare decisions are being threatened. Billy will fight to defend women’s access to family planning and birth control and fight against efforts to defund Planned Parenthood."
Increasing the Minimum Wage
- Excerpt: "When elected, Billy will work with Democrats and Republicans alike to help those in the Commonwealth who struggle to put food on their tables and provide for their families."
- Excerpt: "Billy will fight to make sure every Pennsylvanian can get a good paying job and support their family. We'll accomplish this by promoting opportunity zones in the district. This will bring small businesses and good paying jobs into the 164th district."
- Excerpt: "We need to stand up and protect our children’s access to quality, fully funded public education. We also need to make sure that schools remain safe environments for learning and social development for the ultimate good of all Pennsylvanians."
- Excerpt: "We also owe it to good students that they have access to higher education. That’s why Billy supports expanding merit and need based scholarships for qualified students in Pennsylvania for the good of all Pennsylvanians."
Elections for the office of Pennsylvania House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place May 20, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 11, 2014. Incumbent Margo Davidson defeated Billy Smith and Dafan Zhang in the Democratic primary, while Saud Siddiqui was unopposed in the Republican primary. Davidson and Siddiqui will face off in the general election.
|Pennsylvania House of Representatives, District 164 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Margo Davidson Incumbent||53%||2,711|
In 2014, Smith's endorsements included the following:
- Brian Sims (Pennsylvania House of Representatives - 182nd district)
- Former State Rep. Bryan Lentz
- Former Lansdowne Mayor Jayne Young
- Current Lansdowne Mayor Tony Campuzano
- Upper Darby Democratic Committee Chairman Ed Bradley
- Pennsylvania State Education Association (PSEA)
- Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams
- Planned Parenthood PA PAC
- Liberty City Democratic Club
- Keystone Progress
Smith and his wife, Abbi, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Billy + Smith + Pennsylvania + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- Pennsylvania State Legislature
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives District 164
- Official campaign website
- Bill Smith on Facebook
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Pennsylvania Department of State- Official candidate list
- www.votebillysmith.com, "Meet Billy," accessed May 9, 2014
- www.votebillysmith.com, "Issues," accessed May 9, 2014
- Pennsylvania Department of State, "Official primary results for May 20, 2014," accessed July 9, 2014
- Pennsylvania Department of State, "2014 Official Candidate Listing," accessed March 21, 2014
- www.votebillysmith.com, "Endorsements," accessed May 9, 2014
State of Pennsylvania
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Secretary of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Conservation and Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor & Industry | Chairman of Public Utilities |