Birdville Independent School District, Texas
|Birdville Independent School District|
|Haltom City, Texas|
|Superintendent:||Darrel G. Brown|
|Graduation rate:||87.4 percent|
|Number of schools:||33|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Brad Greene|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Birdville Independent School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 See also
- 10 External links
- 11 References
About the districtHaltom City, a city located in Tarrant County, Texas. According to the United States Census Bureau, Haltom City is home to 43,376 residents. Birdville Independent School District is the 52nd-largest school district in Texas, serving 23,545 students during the 2010-11 school year.
Haltom City underperformed in comparison to the rest of Texas in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 12.9 percent of Haltom City residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.3 percent for Texas as a whole. The median household income in Haltom City was $44,011 compared to $51,563 for the state of Texas. The poverty rate in Haltom City was 17.9 percent compared to 17.4 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
The superintendent of Birdville Independent School District during the 2013-2014 school year was Darren G. Brown. He has served in the position since his appointment in 2011. Brown previously served as the superintendent of Forney Independent School District in Texas from 2008 to 2011.
The Birdville Board of Trustees consists of seven members elected to three-year terms. Each board member is elected to a specific seat but represents the entire district. Trustees are not paid but receive compensation for travel expenses and conference fees associated with district business.
|Birdville Board of Trustees|
|Member||Place||Assumed Office||Term Ends|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Trustees are elected to three-year terms on a staggered basis. Two seats were up for election on May 10, 2014. Three seats will be up for election in May 2015 and two seats will be on the ballot in May 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The Board of Trustees maintains the following policy regarding public participation at board meetings last updated in 2004:
|“||Audience participation at a Board meeting is limited to the public comment portion of the meeting designated for that purpose. At all other times during a Board meeting, the audience shall not enter into discussion or debate on matters being considered by the Board, unless requested by the presiding officer.
COMPLAINTS AND CONCERNS
CONDUCT AT BOARD MEETINGS
At no time will the Board allow personal attacks on the character of a Trustee, employee, or student.
Birdville Independent School District publishes annual budgets on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teacher salaries at Birdville Independent School District are categorized based on higher education achievement and years of service. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate degrees. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table lists salaries for district teachers during the 2012-2013 school year:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Median salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
Schools in Birdville Independent School District
Birdville Independent School District operates 33 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Birdville Independent School District|
|Academy at C.F. Thomas|
|Academy at West Birdville|
|Alliene Mullendore Elementary School|
|Birdville Center of Technology and Advanced Learning|
|Birdville Elementary School|
|Birdville High School|
|David E. Smith Elementary School|
|Foster Village Elementary School|
|Grace E. Hardeman Elementary School|
|Green Valley Elementary School|
|Haltom High School|
|Haltom Middle School|
|Holiday Heights Elementary School|
|Jack C. Binion Elementary School|
|John D. Spicer Elementary School|
|Major Cheney Elementary at South Birdville|
|North Oaks Middle School|
|North Richland Middle School|
|North Ridge Elementary School|
|North Ridge Middle School|
|O.H. Stowe Elementary School|
|Richland Elementary School|
|Richland High School|
|Richland Middle School|
|Shannon Learning Center|
|Smithfield Elementary School|
|Smithfield Middle School|
|Snow Heights Elementary School|
|Walker Creek Elementary School|
|Watauga Elementary School|
|Watauga Middle School|
|W.A. Porter Elementary School|
|W.T. Francisco Elementary School|
The Texas Education Agency issues an annual accountability report for each school district in the state. This rating determines if district schools fulfill expectations in four categories of educational achievement during a particular school year. The following terms explain these categories:
- Student Achievement: Measures student performance on the annual Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) test.
- Student Progress: Measures student performance in reading, math and writing courses at the district level.
- Closing Performance Gaps: Measures year-to-year performance among students in the lowest-performing demographics.
- Postsecondary Readiness: Measures student readiness for college, employment or military service after graduation.
Birdville Independent School District received a Met Standard designation on the state's 2013 report. District schools met 94% of indicators set forth by state education officials and all four assessment categories. The following table details the district's accountability report during the 2012-2013 school year:
|Performance Index Summary, 2012-2013|
|Category||Points earned||Maximum points||Index score||Target score|
|Closing Performance Gaps||1,141||1,500||76||55|
- List of school districts in Texas
- Birdville Independent School District elections (2014)
- School Board Elections portal
- Texas Education Agency, "2012-2013 Texas Academic Performance Report: Birdville ISD," accessed February 19, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Birdville Independent School District, "About BISD," accessed February 19, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Haltom City, Texas," accessed February 19, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "Historical Election Results," accessed February 14, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Birdville Independent School District, "Superintendent," accessed February 19, 2014
- Birdville Independent School District, "Eligibility/Qualifications," September 28, 2011
- Birdville Independent School District, "Public Participation," July 22, 2004
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Birdville Independent School District, "Budget Reports," accessed December 15, 2014
- Birdville Independent School District, "2012-2013 Hiring Schedule," May 24, 2012 (dead link)
- Birdsville Independent School District, "Birdsville ISD Campuses," accessed February 19, 2014
- Texas Education Agency, "Accountability Summary 2013: Birdville ISD," accessed February 19, 2014