Birdville Independent School District elections (2014)
Method of election
Birdville Independent School District
Tarrant County, Texas ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Texas
Two seats on the Birdville Board of Trustees were scheduled for general election on May 10, 2014. Incumbents Joe Tolbert and Dolores Webb won re-election to Places 1 and 2 without opposition with the cancellation of the election on March 27, 2014.
About the districtHaltom City, a city located in Tarrant County, Texas. According to the United States Census Bureau, Haltom City is home to 43,376 residents. Birdville Independent School District is the 52nd-largest school district in Texas, serving 23,545 students during the 2010-2011 school year.
Haltom City underperformed in comparison to the rest of Texas in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 12.9 percent of Haltom City residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.3 percent for Texas as a whole. The median household income in Haltom City was $44,011 compared to $51,563 for the state of Texas. The poverty rate in Haltom City was 17.9 percent compared to 17.4 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin rather than a race. Citizens may report both their race and their place of origin, and as a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table may exceed 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Birdville Board of Trustees consists of seven members elected to three-year terms. There was no primary election and a general election was scheduled for May 10, 2014 prior to cancellation. Three seats will be on the ballot in May 2015 and two seats will be up for election in May 2016.
Candidates for the Board of Trustees submitted paperwork with the school district secretary by February 28, 2014. Each candidate must be at least 18 years old, a registered voter and a resident of the district for at least six months. Members file two campaign finance reports with the district clerk prior to the election unless they have not received or spent $500 during the campaign.
- Joe Tolbert
- Graduate, Texas A&M University and Texas Tech University
- Attorney, Harris, Finley & Bogle P.C.
- Dolores Webb
- Graduate, North Texas State University
- Agent, State Farm Insurance
No candidate received an endorsement in this election.
No candidate filed a campaign finance report with the district office.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Birdville Independent School District election in 2014 prior to cancellation:
|January 29, 2014||First day to file paperwork for ballot placement|
|February 28, 2014||Last day to file paperwork for ballot placement|
|March 5, 2014||Last day to withdraw from ballot|
|April 10, 2014||Due date for first campaign finance report|
|April 10, 2014||Last day for voter registration with county clerk|
|May 1, 2014||Last day to request mailed ballot from county clerk|
|May 2, 2014||Due date for second campaign finance report|
|May 10, 2014||Election day|
|May 21, 2014||Final day for canvassing of votes|
|July 15, 2014||Last campaign finance report for election|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Birdville Board of Trustees election would have shared the ballot with elections for four seats on the Haltom City Council.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Birdville + Independent + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Birdville Independent School District, Texas
- Texas school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Tarrant County, Texas ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Texas
- Birdville Independent School District, "ELECTION INFORMATION," accessed May 7, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Haltom City, Texas," accessed February 19, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "Historical Election Results," accessed February 14, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
- Birdville Independent School District, "Election Information," accessed February 20, 2014
- Haltom City, Texas, "May 10, 2014 Election Candidate Packet," accessed February 20, 2014
|2014 Birdville Independent School District Elections|
|Haltom City, Texas|
|Election date:||May 10, 2014|
|Candidates:||Place 1: • Joe Tolbert|
Place 2: • Dolores Webb
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|