Bloomington Public Schools elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Bloomington Public Schools
Hennepin County, Minnesota ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Minnesota
Four seats on the Bloomington Public Schools school board were up for general election on November 5, 2013. Challengers Ricardo Oliva, Dawn Steigauf, Jim Sorum and Tom Bennett defeated incumbents Tim Culver, Lyle Abeln and Arlene Bush to win the four at-large seats.
About the district
- See also: Bloomington Public Schools, Minnesota
Bloomington outperformed the rest of Minnesota in terms of its median rates of average household income, poverty rate and higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Bloomington was $60,150 compared to $58,476 for the state of Minnesota. The poverty rate in Bloomington was 8.5% compared to 11.0% for the entire state. The United States Census Bureau also found that 38.5% of Bloomington residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to 31.8% in Minnesota.
Note: Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" percentage, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off. Read more about race and ethnicity in the Census here.
Method of board member selection
The Bloomington school board consists of seven members elected to four-year terms at-large by the district as a whole. There was no primary election and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Four seats were on the ballot in 2013.
Candidates began filing affidavits of candidacy on July 30. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the 2013 general election was August 13.
|Bloomington Public Schools, At-Large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Tim Culver Incumbent||13.3%||5,220|
|Nonpartisan||Arlene Bush Incumbent||12.5%||4,941|
|Nonpartisan||Lyle Abeln Incumbent||12.4%||4,895|
|Source: Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Results for Selected Contests in School District No. 271 - Bloomington," accessed December 18, 2013|
There were no official endorsements made in this election.
Candidates received a total of $10,898.52 and spent a total of $13,417.64 during the election, according to the district office. State law does not require campaign finance reporting if contributions or expenditures do not exceed $750 in a calendar year.
|Candidate||Contributions||Expenditures||Cash on hand|
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
What was at stake?
There were four seats on the school board up for election on November 5, 2013. Incumbent board Chair Tim Culver, Lyle Abeln and Arlene Bush unsuccessfully sought re-election, while fellow incumbent Mark Hibbs did not file for re-election. The incumbents drew four challengers in Ricardo Oliva, Dawn Steigauf, Jim Sorum and Tom Bennett.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Bloomington Public Schools election in 2013:
|July 30, 2013||First day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|August 13, 2013||Last day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election only shared the ballot with other municipal elections and a school district referendum. This referendum, which narrowly passed, replaced the existing capital projects levy of 2.625% times the net tax capacity of the school district with a new levy of 5.858% times the net tax capacity of the school district. This levy was estimated to raise approximately $60 million over a span of ten years and the district requested it in order to fund technology and security improvements in the school district.
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- Bloomington Public Schools, Minnesota
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Hennepin County, Minnesota ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Minnesota
- United States Census Bureau, "Hennepin County, Minnesota," accessed October 14, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Bloomington (city), Minnesota," accessed October 14, 2013
- Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Election Results and Statistics," accessed October 14, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Bloomington Public Schools, "School Board Elections," accessed October 14, 2013
- Information received in an email to Ballotpedia from Jennifer Hazel on March 25, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Campaign Finance," accessed February 11, 2014
- Bloomington Public Schools, "Presentations & Flyers," accessed October 14, 2013