Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|New York State Senate District 37|
- See also: New York State Senate elections, 2012
Cohen ran in the 2012 election for New York State Senate District 37. He ran unopposed in the Republican primary on September 13, 2012. He also ran on the Conservative Party and Independence Party of New York State tickets. Cohen was defeated by George S. Latimer (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012. 
|New York State Senate, District 37, General Election, 2012|
- See also: New York State Senate elections, 2010
Cohen was a 2010 Republican candidate for District 37 of the New York State Senate. He ran unopposed in the September 14 Republican primary. Cohen was defeated by incumbent Suzi Oppenheimer (D) in the general election on November 2. Cohen ran as a member of the Republican, Independence and Conservative party.
Cohen's 2010 campaign website listed four main issues and policy proposals:
- Reining in Spending: "Since 1985, the our state budget has grown faster than our state economy. The result? Bloated bureaucracies. Rising taxes. A $9 billion budget gap. Had Albany managed to merely grow at the same rate as the state around it, our budget would be nearly $30 billion lower than it is today."
- An immediate freeze in the growth of all state expenditures
- A binding 2% cap in the annual rate of budget growth (with adjustments for inflation)
- Formal, long-term spending targets for big-budget items such as Medicaid and school aid
- Reforms which will yield better value for our health care, pension, and education dollars
- Tax Reform: "Westchester County residents bear the highest tax burden in the country. Albany's relentless revenue machine is compromising our quality of life, crippling our state's competitiveness, and clouding our children's future."
- A statewide cap on local property taxes
- Reinstatement of the STAR property tax rebate
- A repeal of the outrageous MTA Payroll Tax
- Simplification of the tax code to make compliance cheaper and easier
- Elimination of all VIP tax credits to politically connected insiders
- Making Albany Accountable: "New York State government is in shambles - every other month, it seems, a state official must be investigated for ethics violations or abuse of power. Our last governor resigned in disgrace, and our current governor may soon follow in his footsteps."
- Term Limits: The only way to guarantee fresh, independent voices in government
- An End to Gerrymandering: Fair-and-square districts for Fair-and-Square elections
- Strong Ethics and Financial Disclosure Rules: As the saying goes, "Sunlight was a best disinfectant"
- Elimination of Member Items: Our people and our state cannot support a petty cash drawer for legislators
- Jobs for New Yorkers: "Decades of irresponsible tax increases, outrageous fees and overall regulatory excess have slowly suffocated the New York economy. The Tax Foundation lists New York as the 2nd worst environment for business among states; only New Jersey is worse. It is no wonder, then, that New York's unemployment rate remains above 9%. Or that New Yorkers are leaving our state in droves. In the past decade, over 1.5 million residents - the most in any state - have packed their bags for greener pastures."
- Refundable tax credits for Research & Development and Manufacturing, to attract innovators and industrialists back into the state
- Strengthened funding for university research programs in energy, green technology, medicine, and other promising areas of economic growth
- A credible commitment to improving our business environment through regulatory and tax reform
- A plan to modernize our dated infrastructure, which hurts both consumers and businesses by making basic utilities more expensive
Cohen was endorsed by:
- West Chester Tea Party 
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Bob + Cohen + New + York + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- More of Services: - New York Daily News (blog)
- The GOP's Apartheid Insurrection - Daily Beast
- Markos Moulitsas: The rise of the left - The Hill
- Sebelius, Cohen testify November enrollment numbers out today SGR bill to ... - Politico
- Joint Chiefs Chairman Presses Congress To Act On Defense Bill - Huffington Post
- First Read ? December 9, 2013 - City & State
- Kerry faces grilling over Iran deal - CNN
- Volcker Rule Ushers in Era of Increased Oversight of Trades - San Francisco Chronicle
- Albany Pro: Astorino goes to Buffalo; oil on the Hudson - Capital New York
- Chuck Hagel Offers Troops Rare Hope On Defense Budget - Huffington Post
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Official 2010 campaign website
- Official 2010 campaign facebook page
- Official 2010 campaign twitter page
- Official Project Vote Smart Biography
- Imagine Election profile
- New York Times endorsement
- Talk of the Sound, "Iona College Poll Shows Bob Cohen Closing on Suzi Oppenheimer for State Senate," 10/28/2010