|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 39A|
|2007 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||7|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 7, 2006|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Bemidji State University|
|Master's||University of Saint Thomas|
|Birthday||March 1, 1951|
|Place of birth||Faribault, Minnesota|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Scorecards
- 7 Personal
- 8 Recent news
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Dettmer earned his B.S. in Health/Physical Education from Bemidji State University and his M.A. in Education Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Saint Thomas. His professional experience includes working as a teacher and head wrestling coach at Forest Lake High School. Dettmer served in Iraq as a Chief Warrant Officer in the United States Army Reserves.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Dettmer served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Capital Investment|
|• State Government Finance and Veterans Affairs|
|• Ways and Means|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Dettmer served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Higher Education Policy and Finance, Vice-chair|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Dettmer served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Rules and Legislative Administration|
Dettmer's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "Equity funding is essential to help lower class size and hire the staff necessary to properly instruct our students. We must also build in reform and accountability so that taxpayers are assured the dollars they entrust to the public school system are used in the classroom and not squandered on excessive bureaucracy or programs with dubious merit."
Taxes & the Economy
- Excerpt: "During these challenging economic times, government should encourage businesses to locate in our state not to drive them away with increased taxation and excessive regulation. These types of legislation affect all businesses, but especially the job creating small and family-owned operations."
- Excerpt: "I have consistently supported consumer-centric solutions that let individuals and families find the most affordable care that suits their needs."
Public Safety & Immigration
- Excerpt: "Public safety is of paramount importance in communities across the state. The first duty of any government is to protect its citizens."
- Excerpt: "The overwhelming majority of Minnesotans travel using roads and bridges and our funding priorities should reflect that reality."
Elections for the office of Minnesota House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 12, 2014, and a general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 3, 2014. Tim Stender was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Bob Dettmer was unopposed in the Republican primary. Dettmer faces Stender in the general election.
Dettmer won re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 39A. He was unopposed in the Republican primary on August 14 and defeated John Bruno (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 39A, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Bob Dettmer Incumbent||57.5%||13,033|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 52A (2010)|
|Adam Best (DFL)||6,548||33.15%|
|Bob Dettmer (R)||13,183||66.74%|
Bob Dettmer raised $41,924 for his campaign.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 52A (2008)|
|Bob Dettmer (R)||16,512||67.02%|
|Rolanda Delamartinez (DFL)||8,085||32.82%|
Comprehensive donor information for Dettmer is available dating back to 2006. Based on available campaign finance records, Dettmer raised a total of $127,536 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 17, 2013.
|Bob Dettmer's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Minnesota State House, District 39A||$24,635|
|2010||Minnesota State House, District 52A||$28,148|
|2008||Minnesota State House, District 52A||$41,924|
|2006||Minnesota State House, District 52A||$32,829|
|Grand Total Raised||$127,536|
2012Dettmer won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Dettmer raised a total of $24,635.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Bob Dettmer's campaign in 2012|
|39th Senate District RPM||$750|
|Chisago County RPM||$520|
|Michele PAC Minnesota||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$24,635|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Dettmer won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2010. During that election cycle, Dettmer raised a total of $28,148.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Bob Dettmer's campaign in 2010|
|52nd Senate District Rpm||$1,500|
|SOF - PAC||$400|
|Total Raised in 2010||$28,148|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2008Dettmer won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2008. During that election cycle, Dettmer raised a total of $41,924.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2008 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Bob Dettmer's campaign in 2008|
|52nd Senate District Republican Party||$3,500|
|Paul Ives for Minnesota House||$600|
|Whelan, Robert L.||$500|
|Total Raised in 2008||$41,924|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2006Dettmer won election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2006. During that election cycle, Dettmer raised a total of $32,829.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2006 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Bob Dettmer's campaign in 2006|
|Senate District 52 Republican Party Minnesota||$1,500|
|Cook Hill Girard||$500|
|Total Raised in 2006||$32,829|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from February 25 through May 19.
- Liberty Minnesota: 2014
- Legislators are scored on bills of interest to an organization advocating "limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty."
- NARAL Pro-Choice Minnesota: 2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on pro-choice issues.
In 2013, the Legislature was in session from January 8 to May 20.
- Americans for Prosperity Minnesota: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored "on key votes on issues concerning economic freedom, which includes taxes, budgets and spending, health care and more."
- Minnesota Family Council: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on votes of interest to a socially conservative "pro-family" organization.
- Minnesota Majority: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on "a wide range of issues including taxes, government spending, elections, childcare unionization, property rights and energy policy" per "the traditional values position."
- Taxpayers League of Minnesota: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on votes of interest to an economically conservative organization.
- NARAL Pro-Choice Minnesota: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on votes regarding reproductive issues.
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
Dettmer is married with three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Bob + Dettmer + Minnesota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Office website
- Campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006
- Bob Dettmer on Facebook
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Dettmer
- "bobdettmer," Official Campaign Website
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "State Canvassing Board Report," August 19, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2014 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed July 25, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed June 18, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Minnesota State Canvassing Report - State Primary - Tuesday, August 14, 2012," accessed April 23, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2010 Election Results," accessed March 9, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "All Races by Legislative District," accessed April 23, 2014
- Follow the Money's report on Dettmer's 2008 campaign contributions
- Follow the Money, "Dettmer, Bob." Retrieved July 17, 2013
- Liberty Minnesota, "About Us," accessed July 25, 2014
- Americans for Prosperity, "2013 Legislative Scorecard," accessed July 26, 2014
- Minnesota Family Council, "2013 Minnesota Family Council Legislative Scorecard," accessed July 26, 2014
- Minnesota Majority, "Scorecards," accessed July 26, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2012," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2011," accessed May 15, 2014
Rick Hansen (DFL)
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 39A
| Succeeded by|
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 52A
| Succeeded by|
Rick Hansen (DFL)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |