Booker defeats Lonegan in New Jersey special election for Senate
Trenton, New Jersey: Newark Mayor Cory Booker (D) beat out former Mayor of Bogota Steve Lonegan (R) and a handful of Independent candidates in the special election to succeed the late Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D) yesterday.
In June 2013, Gov. Chris Christie chose to appoint Attorney General Jeff Chiesa to fill the vacant seat. Chiesa, who has not expressed interest in becoming a career senator, will serve in the Senate until after the special election.
Cory Booker also defeated several Independent candidates, including Robert Depasquale, Eugene Martin Lavergne, Stuart David Meissner, Pablo Olivera, Antonio Sabas and Edward Stackhouse, Jr..Cite error: Closing
</ref> missing for
Democrats were heavily favored to retain the seat, as New Jersey has not elected a Republican to the U.S. Senate in 40 years. Booker will become the only elected African American senator currently serving. He will also become the Senate's seventh youngest member, the ninth African American member of Congress and the fourth African American member of the Senate ever popularly elected.
“The winner of (Wednesday’s) election will be sworn in as quickly as possible after the results have been verified and certified. We fully anticipate this to happen before the Nov. 5th election day,” said a statement from Gov. Christie’s office.
|U.S. Senate, New Jersey Special General Election, 2013|
|Independent||Edward C. Stackhouse||0.4%||5,138|
|Source: Official results via New Jersey Division of Elections|
|Propositions •||Recall||• Law|
- United States Senate special election in New Jersey, 2013
- New Jersey elections, 2013
- United States Senate
- U.S. Senate delegation from New Jersey
- Special elections to the 113th United States Congress (2013-2014)
- State Poll Opening and Closing Times (2013)
- New Jersey Division of Elections
- New Jersey 2013 Election Information
- Writ of Election
- Important dates for candidates
- Important dates for voters
- Official list of primary election candidates
- NY Times, "Cory Booker, Newark’s Mayor, Handily Wins New Jersey Senate Primary," accessed October 13, 2013
- NBC Politics, "Cory Booker wins Democratic primary in New Jersey," accessed October 13, 2013
- Daily Princetonian, "Aug. 13 Senate primary requires different campaign strategy, sets stage for October special election," accessed October 11, 2013
- New Jersey Elections Division, "Official General Election Candidates," accessed October 14, 2013
- CBS News "Cory Booker fends off Democratic challengers in N.J. debate" Accessed October 6, 2013
- LA Times, "Cory Booker wins New Jersey's Democratic primary for Senate," accessed October 13, 2013
- Philly.com, "Booker wins U.S. Senate seat," accessed October 16, 2013
- Philly.com, "How soon will NJ's new Senator take office?," accessed October 16, 2013
- New Jersey Division of Elections, "Special Election General Election Results," accessed November 7, 2013