Brandywine School District, Delaware
|Brandywine School District|
|Number of schools:||17|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||John Skrobot|
About the districtNew Castle County, Delaware. The county seat of New Castle County is Wilmington. According to the United States Census Bureau, New Castle County is home to 538,479 residents.
New Castle County outperformed in comparison to the rest of Delaware in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 33.5 percent of New Castle County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 28.5 percent for Delaware as a whole. The median household income in New Castle County was $64,670 compared to $60,119 for the state of Delaware. The poverty rate in New Castle County was 10.7 percent compared to 11.5 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Mark Holodick is the superintendent of Brandywine School District. He has served in this role since October 2009. Prior to serving in this role, Holodick served as a principal in the Delmar School District for three years. Holodick and his wife, Angie, have three children who attend Brandywine School District.
The Brandywine School Board is composed of seven members serving five-year terms.
|Brandywine School Board|
School board elections
Members of the Brandywine School Board are elected to five-year terms. Candidates represent a geographic area of the district known as a voting area. One seat was up for election in 2014 and two seats will be up for election in 2015.
The table below displays the budget for Brandywine School District.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Brandywine School District employed 577 K-12 teachers during the 2012-2013 school year. Teacher salaries are categorized based on higher education achievement, professional development and years of service. A teacher with a bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate courses with raises at credit intervals. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table details the salary schedule negotiated between the district and the Brandywine Education Association for 2013-2014:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
|B.A. + 15||42,821||65,070|
|B.A. + 30||44,794||73,185|
|MA + 15||49,271||81,754|
|MA + 30||51,091||85,233|
|MA + 45||52,912||87,003|
Schools in Brandywine School District
Brandywine School District served 10,852 students during the 2012-2013 school year.
Brandywine School District operates 17 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Brandywine School District|
|Brandywine Community School|
|Bush Early Education Center|
|Maple Lane Elementary|
|Mt. Pleasant Elementary|
|Mt. Pleasant High|
|P.S. duPont Middle|
The Delaware Comprehensive Assessment System or DCAS is a series of assessments designed to measure what Delaware’s students know and are able to do at each grade level in reading, mathematics, science and social studies. Each test question measures knowledge of the content standards and grade level expectations. Each test question measures knowledge of the extended content standards, which are adapted from the Delaware Content Standards especially for this population.
|Delaware Comprehensive Assessment System - Spring 2013|
|Grade||Number Tested||Meet Standard (%)||Below Standard (%)||Scale Score Mean|
- Delaware school districts
- List of school districts in Delaware
- Brandywine School District elections (2014)
- School board elections portal
- Brandywine School District
- Wilmington, Delaware
- Brandywine Education Association
- New Castle County, Delaware
- Delaware Department of Education
- Delaware School Boards Association
- Brandywine School District, "Facts and Figures," accessed March 21, 2014
- Brandywine School District, "Final Operating Budget Fiscal Year 2013," accessed December 12, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "New Castle County, Delaware," accessed March 21, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Brandywine School District, "Meet the Superintendent:Mark Skrobot," accessed March 21, 2014
- Brandywine School District, "School Board," accessed March 21, 2014
- Brandywine School District, "Benefits & Compensation," accessed March 21, 2014
- Brandywine School District, "Our Schools," accessed March 21, 2014
- Delaware Department of Education, "Delaware Comprehensive Assessment System State Summary," accessed March 20, 2014
- Delaware Department of Education, "Delaware Comprehensive Assessment System On-line Reports (ver. 2012b)," accessed March 20, 2014