Brazosport Independent School District, Texas
|Brazosport Independent School District|
|Number of schools:||18|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Jim Koch|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Brazosport Independent School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Issues
- 9 Contact information
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the districtClute, Texas, a city located in Brazoria County. According to the United States Census Bureau, Clute is home to 11,282 residents.
Clute underperformed in comparison to the rest of Texas in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 10.4 percent of Clute residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.3 percent for Texas as a whole. The median household income in Clute was $40,790 compared to $51,563 for the state of Texas. The poverty rate in Clute was 20.4 percent compared to 17.4 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The superintendent of Brazosport Independent School District is Karin Holacka as of April 9, 2014. She has served in the position since her appointment in 2011. Holacka previously served as the area superintendent of Keller Independent School District.
The Brazosport Board of Trustees consists of seven members elected to three-year terms. Each member is elected to a specific geographical district. Trustees are not paid but receive compensation for travel expenses and conference fees associated with district business.
|Brazosport Board of Trustees|
|George R. Sullivan||1||2014|
|Mason P. Howard||7||2014|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Trustees are elected to three-year terms on a staggered basis. Three seats were up for election on May 10, 2014. Two seats will be on the ballot in May 2015 and two seats will be up for election in May 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The Board of Trustees maintains the following policy regarding public participation in board meetings last updated in 2004:
Audience participation at a Board meeting is limited to the public comment portion of the meeting designated for that purpose. At all other times during a Board meeting, the audience shall not enter into discussion or debate on matters being considered by the Board, unless requested by the presiding officer.
No presentation shall exceed five minutes. Delegations of more than five persons shall appoint one person to present their views before the Board.
COMPLAINTS AND CONCERNS
—Brazosport Independent School District's website, (2014), 
Brazosport Independent School District published its annual budget on their district website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teacher salaries at Brazosport Independent School District are categorized based on higher education achievement and years of service. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate degrees. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table lists salaries for district teachers during the 2013-2014 school year:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Median salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
Schools in Brazosport Independent School District
Brazosport Independent School District operates 19 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Brazosport Independent School District|
|A.P. Beutel Elementary School|
|Bess Brannen Elementary School|
|Brazosport High School|
|Brazoswood High School|
|Clute Intermediate School|
|Elisabet Ney Elementary School|
|Freeport Intermediate School|
|Gladys Polk Elementary School|
|Grady Rasco Middle School|
|Jane Long Elementary School|
|Lake Jackson Intermediate School|
|Lighthouse Learning Center|
|Madge Griffith Elementary School|
|O.A. Fleming Elementary School|
|O.M. Roberts Elementary School|
|R. O'Hara Lanier Middle School|
|Stephen F. Austin Elementary School|
|T.W. Ogg Elementary School|
|Velasco Elementary School|
The Texas Education Agency issues an annual accountability report for each school district in the state. This rating determines if district schools fulfill expectations in four categories of educational achievement during a particular school year. The following terms explain these categories:
- Student Achievement: Measures student performance on the annual Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) test.
- Student Progress: Measures student performance in reading, math and writing courses at the district level.
- Closing Performance Gaps: Measures year-to-year performance among students in the lowest-performing demographics.
- Postsecondary Readiness: Measures student readiness for college, employment or military service after graduation.
Brazosport Independent School District received a Met Standard designation on the state's 2013 report. District schools met 86% of indicators set forth by state education officials and all four assessment categories. The following table details the district's accountability report during the 2012-2013 school year:
|Performance Index Summary, 2012-2013|
|Category||Points earned||Maximum points||Index score||Target score|
|Closing Performance Gaps||922||1,500||61||55|
Teacher's inappropriate relationship with student
Former teacher Nikki Schwertz was sentenced in February to 10 years of probation and a $5,000 fine for engaging in an inappropriate relationship with a Brazosport High School student. Schwertz resigned from the school in 2013 after administrators investigated rumors of her relationship with a 16-year old student. The sentence was reduced from a prison sentence due to the age of the student and Schwertz's apologies to his parents and school officials.
- List of school districts in Texas
- Brazosport Independent School District elections (2014)
- School Board Elections portal
- Brazosport Independent School District
- City of Clute, Texas
- Texas Education Agency
- Texas Association of School Boards
- Texas Education Agency, "2012-2013 District Performance," accessed April 10, 2014
- Brazosport Independent School District, "About BISD," accessed April 11, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Clute, Texas," accessed March 4, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "Historical Election Results," accessed March 4, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Brazosport Independent School District, "About Dr. H," accessed April 9, 2014
- Brazosport Independent School District, "Eligibility/Qualifications," September 27, 2011
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Brazosport Independent School District, "Public Participation," July 22, 2004
- Brazosport Independent School District, "Brazosport Independent School District FISCAL YEAR: 2011-12," accessed December 2, 2013
- Brazosport Independent School District, "2013-2014 Salary Schedule," accessed April 9, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Brazosport Independent School District, "Campuses," accessed April 10, 2014
- Texas Education Agency, "Accountability Summary 2013: Brazosport ISD," accessed April 8, 2014
- Vicente Arenas, Shreveport Times, "Teacher gets probation for having sex with student," February 24, 2014