|University of Texas Board of Regents|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed by||Rick Perry|
|Bachelor's||University of Texas-Austin|
Pejovich earned her Bachelor's degree in business administration from the University of Texas at Austin and has received certification from the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy.
Practicing public accounting early in her career, Pejovich went on to serve as Chief Executive Officer of Brenda Pejovich and Associates, Inc., a large-scale operations consulting firm. Pejovich later sold the company. She is currently the President of the Brenda Pejovich Group, LLC.
Pejovich serves on the boards of the Texas Public Policy Foundation, a conservative, non-profit think tank that promotes free market policies, and the World Affairs Council of Dallas/Fort Worth, a non-profit, nonpartisan organization that "promotes international awareness, understanding and connections."
Pejovich's prior gubernatorial appointments include seats on the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, the Texas Building and Procurement Commission, and the Texas Mutual Insurance Company.
Wallace Hall impeachment
- See also: Wallace Hall impeachment trial
After he was appointed in 2011, University of Texas Regent Wallace Hall began looking into what he believed to be clout scandals within the University of Texas system. Hall investigated the university's forgivable-loans program, admissions policies and preferential treatment to politically-connected individuals. Hall, as an individual citizen, filed a large number of FOIA requests with the University system after his inquiries via his role as a Regent were rebuffed. According to his accusers, Hall filed requests of more than 800,000 pages, which some Texas administrators called an unnecessary burden. However, a letter from University chancellor Francisco Cigarroa in February 2014 said that Hall likely requested fewer than 100,000 pages. In addition, Cigarroa wrote: "During testimony before the Select Committee, some early witnesses implied that the U.T. System has not protected the privacy rights of students, staff, and patients. This is simply not true."
An effort was begun in June 2013 to try and impeach Hall from his position as regent. Some legislators are justifying the impeachment on the grounds that Hall did not disclose several lawsuits that he was involved in when he originally completed his Regent background check. Hall updated Governor Rick Perry's office in April 2013 with the full list. No unelected official in Texas has ever been successfully impeached or removed from office. Governor of Texas Rick Perry's spokesperson said the investigations send a "chilling message" to gubernatorial appointees. He added that the investigation was "extraordinary political theater."
In July 2013, University of Texas Chancellor Francisco Cigarroa and Powell responded to the ongoing investigation and negative remarks against Hall from some elected officials and University of Texas staff. Cigarroa said Hall was not allowed to access anything that was not reviewed by University lawyers to ensure they met federal privacy standards. In a July 15, 2013 letter to state representative Jim Pitts, Powell wrote: "Regent Hall's efforts extend to bringing the U.T. System into a competitive position nationally; especially related to offering blended and online learning opportunities to U.T. students. I would point out Regent Hall's excellent service to the Board in terms of time and energy. I appreciate his Board service and his dedication and hard work designed to fulfill his fiduciary obligations. He added: "I am aware of no instance of Regent Hall inappropriately sharing information that is confidential by law with others outside U.T. System and encourage you to identify any specific concerns you have in this area," Hall investigated the university's forgivable-loans program, admissions policies and preferential treatment to politically-connected individuals.
Pejovich serves on the following Board standing committees:
- Academic Affairs Committee
- Audit, Compliance, and Management Review Committee
- Finance and Planning Committee
- Health Affairs Committee
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Brenda + Pejovich + Texas"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- University of Texas System, "Brenda Pejovich Biography," accessed October 31, 2013
- Austin YNN "Huffines resigns, Perry appoints new regent to UT System," July 3, 2010
- American Independent, "Newest UT Regent Pejovich is conservative think tank board member," July 20, 2010
- The Texas Tribune, "Tribpedia: Texas Public Policy Foundation," accessed December 11, 2013
- World Affairs Council of Dallas/Fort Worth, "Our Mission," accessed December 11, 2013
- The Daily Texan, "UT System Board of Regents' donations cause worry," March 28, 2012
- The Daily Texan, "UT System Regents Political Contributions - Spreadsheet," accessed December 11, 2013
- American Spectator, "Transparency for Thee," October 25, 2013
- Daily Texas Online, "Facing impeachment, Regent Wallace Hall defends actions in debate with Sen. Kirk Watson," September 28, 2013
- Daily Texas Online, "Former UT System vice chancellor alleges Regent Wallace Hall’s ‘clear intent to get rid of Bill Powers’," October 24, 2013
- Dallas Morning News, "UT regent sought 800,000 documents, official says in impeachment hearing," October 22, 2013
- Watchdog, "‘Witch hunt’ fallout: Speaker calls for narrower public records law," February 5, 2014
- Texas Tribune, "UT System Responds to Transparency Committee Directives," February 3, 2014
- Texas Tribune, "Cigarroa letter to the Committee on Transparency in State Agency Operations," February 1, 2014
- Texas Tribune, "Martinez Fischer Grills UT System Regent in Hearing," May 14, 2013
- Texas Tribune, "UT Regent Wallace Hall Updates Lawsuit Disclosures," April 30, 2013
- Real Clear Policy, "The Campaign Against Wallace Hall," August 15, 2013
- News-Journal, "University of Texas regent not worried by impeachment inquiry," September 9, 2013
- Texas Tribune, "Transparency Committee to Mull Impeachment of UT Regent," June 25, 2013
- Texas Tribune, "Perry Blasts Impeachment Probe of Wallace Hall," October 30, 2013
- Texas Tribune, "UT System Pushes Back Against Criticism of Regent Hall," July 16, 2013
- University of Texas System, "Letter from Eugene Powell to Jim Pitts," July 15, 2013
- American Spectator, "Transparency for Thee," October 25, 2013
- University of Texas System, "Board Committees," accessed October 31, 2013