was a 2014 Libertarian
candidate for District 22
of the Utah State Senate
Zimmerman's campaign website highlighted the following issues:
- Excerpt: "We live in a one-party system. When I was in school I was shocked to learn that the Soviet Union had a one-party system. The reality is that in Utah we have a de facto one-party system. The Utah Republican Party controls all five statewide offices and holds a supermajority in the Utah House of Representatives and the Utah State Senate. Republicans also hold both of the state's U.S. Senate seats and two of the state's three U.S. House seats. Regardless of your opinion of the Republican Party, you must agree that it is never a good idea to give one party absolute control of the state government."
- Excerpt: "Our schools have fundamental problems. Education is a top priority among voters, and rightfully so. Despite several attempts at improving our school and a large increase in spending, school performance has remained unchanged. The problem is that the system is fundamentally flawed and spending more money or tinkering with educational objectives won't change much. What is needed is educational choice in the form of vouchers or tuition tax credits. Giving parents the power to send their children to whichever school they consider best will inspire all schools to be better."
- Excerpt: "The war on drugs is an embarrassing failure. Drugs are such a terrible problem that it seems like we have to do something. But ask yourself this: If my loved one had a serious addiction, how should the government help? I think the last thing you would expect the government to do is to lock up your loved one for years, surrounded by criminals. Yet, that is exactly what the government too often does to drug addicts. It doesn't work and we need a better approach."
- See also: Utah State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Utah State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 24, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 20, 2014. Kip Sayre was unopposed in the Democratic convention. Incumbent Stuart Adams defeated Chad Curvin in the Republican convention. Adams defeated Sayre and Brent Zimmerman (L) in the general election.
|Utah State Senate District 22, General Election, 2014
||J. Stuart Adams Incumbent
|| Kip Sayre
|| Brent Zimmerman
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Brent + Zimmerman + Utah + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
Brent Zimmerman News Feed