Brian S. Kelly
|Brian S. Kelly|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Former candidate for|
|Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction|
Kelly ran for election to the office of Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction. Kelly failed to win the Republican nomination in the primary on June 24. The general election took place November 4, 2014. 
|Oklahoma Superintendent, Republican Primary, 2014|
|Brian S. Kelly||21.4%||56,060|
|Election Results via Oklahoma State Election Board.|
As in other superintendent races across the country, the national debate over the Common Core educational benchmarks inspired many candidates to throw their hat in the ring to challenge the incumbent, Republican Janet Barresi. This issue gained prominence when Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin signed a law repealing Common Core standards in Oklahoma, becoming one of the earliest states to take such a step.
Barresi faced a serious challenge from educator Joy Hofmeister in the primary. While Hofmeister had raised almost $1.5 million by the primary, Barresi only kept pace by loaning over $1.25 million to her campaign. Both Barresi and Hofmeister, along with most of the other superintendent candidates in both parties, opposed Common Core and tried to pin its implementation on one another in attack ads. In a debate on June 17 that included Hofmeister and the Democratic candidates, all of the candidates expressed opposition to Common Core and support for a change in educational culture. In total, there were three Republicans and four Democrats contesting the superintendent primaries on June 24.
Hofmeister defeated Barresi in the Republican primary, receiving enough votes to avoid a runoff, and faced Democratic candidate John Cox in the general election.
|2014 Republican primary for Oklahoma Superintendent|
|Poll||Janet Costello Barresi||Joy Hofmeister||Brian S. Kelly||Unsure||Margin of Error||Sample Size|
May 5-10, 2014
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted in this race. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Brian + Kelly + Oklahoma + Superintendent"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Oklahoma State Election Board, "Candidates for Federal, State, Legislative and Judicial Offices," April 14, 2014
- NewsOn6, "Governor Fallin Signs Bill To Repeal, Replace Common Core Standards," June 5, 2014
- The Oklahoman, "Challenger for Oklahoma schools superintendent position out-raises opponent in campaign funds," November 2, 2013
- NewsOK, "Oklahoma state schools superintendent loans campaign almost $1 million in last month," June 18, 2014
- The Oklahoman, "Barresi campaign says rival would deprive Oklahoma children with special needs of education opportunities," June 5, 2014
- Tulsa World, "State superintendent candidates, minus Barresi, meet in Owasso forum," June 18, 2014
State of Oklahoma
Oklahoma City (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor and Inspector | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Wildlife Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Commissioner of Corporations |