Brian Scott Willhite
|Brian Scott Willhite|
|Former candidate for|
|U.S. House, Arkansas, District 1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
Willhite spent four years serving in the United States Air Force before being honorably discharged. He then earned a B.A. in English from Harding University. He then took a job teaching troubled youth at White County Alternative Learning Environment. Willhite has spent the last five years teaching at Des Arc Public Schools.
Willhite's Facebook page listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "The Tenth Amendment calls for any power not given to the federal government to be left to the states. the Constitution makes no remarks on the funding of a Department of Education. Since its inception in 1979, the DOE has spent billions of taxpayer dollars to reform the education system by implementing big government solutions such as Race to the Top, No Child Left Behind, and most recently, the Common Core. As an educator, I can attest to the fact that the majority of these programs have failed our students."
- Excerpt: "I believe that our troops are best utilized at home protecting our coasts and borders. Billions of dollars are spent annually by taxpayers to allow the US to keep bases on foreign soil in areas that no longer constitute a threat. I believe that by bringing our troops home we can cut the national debt and better protect this country."
- Excerpt: "Non-violent crimes account for a large percentage of prosecutions and convictions in the justice system, which cost taxpayers billions of dollars annually. Victimless crimes only harm the person committing them and do not necessarily add to the detriment of society, and once again are crimes which should be dealt with by a person's own moral code and conscience. "
- National Debt
- Excerpt: "Our future generations are already loaded down with debt because of the borrowing and spending of the past 10 years. The Democrats and Republicans are both responsible for this atrocity, but continuously point the finger at one another while offering no real solutions. If elected, I will sponsor legislation to cut unnecessary federal spending and balance the budget."
- 2nd Amendment
- Excerpt: "There has been much debate recently about the 2nd Amendment and what it means. The founders of this great nation included the 2nd Amendment in order for them to protect their "life, liberty, and property" from enemies both foreign and domestic. I pledge to ensure Americans continue to have this freedom."
Willhite ran in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent Arkansas's 1st District. Willhite won the Libertarian nomination in the primary on May 20, 2014. He was defeated by incumbent Rick Crawford (R) in the general election on November 4, 2014.
|U.S. House, Arkansas District 1 General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Rick Crawford Incumbent||63.3%||124,139|
|Libertarian||Brian Scott Willhite||4.4%||8,562|
|Source: Arkansas Secretary of State|
Willhite and his wife, Sarah, have four children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Brian + Willhite + Arkansas + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- Arkansas's 1st Congressional District elections, 2014
- Arkansas's 1st Congressional District