For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Brisbane Elementary School District parcel tax, Measure W (March 2011)
Brisbane Elementary already has a $96 parcel tax. The current tax was approved in 2005 and is set to expire on June 30, 2011. With the approval of Measure W, the tax will increase to by $23/year to $119 per parcel per year and will be extended for another five years, beginning July 1, 2011 and ending June 30, 2016.
A 2/3rds supermajority vote was required to approve Measure W.
Measure W was placed on the ballot by the governing board of Brisbane Elementary at the urging of the group "Renew the Arts." This group said, in its ballot argument on behalf of Measure W:
- "Brisbane Elementary, Panorama Elementary, and Lipman Middle Schools are the three schools that make up the Brisbane School District. For the past 12 years, Art, Music, and a targeted Reading program for these schools has been funded by a parcel tax. That tax is now up for renewal. This ballot measure, if passed, will continue to fund these programs.
- In this time of drastic budget reductions by the State of California, many schools have had to cut Art and Music from their curriculum. Thanks to the support of its local communities, the Brisbane School District has been able to keep these programs, as well as give additional reading instruction to students with particular reading problems. If funds are available, Measure W will also fund classroom aides that are needed to help teachers with large classes or particularly needy students. Without Measure W, the District will be forced to cut these programs."
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|MEASURE W: Shall Brisbane School District renew its current parcel tax with an inflation increase by levying a special tax of not more than $119 annually per parcel to provide teachers/instructional aides for reading, music, and art; providing exemptions for eligible senior citizens? Shall District's annual appropriation limit be raised between 7/1/2011 and 6/30/2016 in an amount equal to levy of said tax, with funds spent exclusively on schools within Brisbane School District and not used for other purposes?|
- Full text of Measure W (timed out)
- Analysis of Measure W (timed out)
- Argument in favor of Measure W (timed out)
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found