Brockton Public Schools, Massachusetts
|Brockton Public Schools|
|Number of schools:||23|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Linda M. Balzotti|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Brockton
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 Website evaluation
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the districtPlymouth County, Massachusetts. The county seats of Plymouth County are Brockton and Plymouth. According to the 2010 US Census, Plymouth County is home to 499,759 residents.
Plymouth County outperformed the rest of Massachusetts in terms of its median rates of average household income and poverty but under performed with regard to higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Plymouth County was $74,698 compared to $65,981 for the state of Massachusetts. The poverty rate in Plymouth County was 7.2% compared to 10.7% for the entire state. The US Census also found that 32.9% of Plymouth County residents aged 25 years and older attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 38.7% in Massachusetts.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The current Superintendent of Brockton Public Schools is Kathleen Smith, who was appointed by the School Committee on July 16, 2013. Smith earned a B.A. in Elementary and Special Education from Westfield State University, an M.A. in Counseling from Bridgewater State College, a school adjustment counselor certificate from Northeastern University and a law degree from the New England School of Law. In her career, Smith has worked as a special education teacher, Title I math and reading coach, district MCAS manager, and district director of Community Schools, which includes adult continuing education classes and after-school programs.
Brockton Public Schools are overseen by a seven-member board elected to two-year terms. Although Brockton Mayor Linda M. Balzotti serves as Chair of the board, she is not a formal member.
|Brockton School Committee|
|Thomas J. Minichiello, Jr.||Ward 1||2015|
|Andrew Robinson||Ward 2||2015|
|Allisha J. Clark||Ward 3||2015|
|Patricia A. Joyce||Ward 4||2015|
|Judy A. Sullivan||Ward 5||2015|
|Michael P. Healy||Ward 6||2015|
|Raymond Henningson, Jr.||Ward 7||2015|
School board elections
- See also: Brockton Public Schools elections (2013)
Members of the Brockton School Committee are elected to two-year terms. The primary election was not held on September 17 due to a lack of candidates, and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Seven seats were up for election in 2013 and all seven seats will be up for election again in 2015.
Brockton Public Schools does not publish its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Brockton Public Schools does not publicly release the salary schedule of its teachers.
Educators and other school employees of the Brockton Public School District are represented by the Brockton Education Association.
Schools in Brockton
Brockton Public Schools serves 16,595 students in 23 schools. Brockton Public Schools does not publicly archive enrollment data beyond the current school year.
Brockton Public Schools operates 23 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Brockton Public Schools|
|School Name||School Type|
|Adult Learning Center||Other|
|Angelo Elementary School||Elementary|
|Arnone Elementary School||Elementary|
|Ashfield Middle School||Middle|
|Baker Elementary School||PK/Elementary|
|B.B. Russell Alternative School||Middle/High/Other|
|Brockton Champion High School||High|
|Brockton High School||High|
|Brookfield Elementary School||Elementary|
|Davis K-8 School||Elementary/Middle|
|Downey Elementary School||Elementary|
|East Middle School||Middle|
|George Elementary School||Elementary|
|Gilmore Early Childhood Center||Preschool|
|Goddard Alternative School||Elementary/Middle/High/Other|
|Hancock Elementary School||Elementary|
|Huntington Elementary School||Elementary|
|Kennedy Elementary School||Elementary|
|North Middle School||Middle|
|Raymond K-8 School||Elementary/Middle|
|South Middle School||Middle|
|West Middle School||Middle|
|Grade and Subject||Proficient or Higher||Advanced||Proficient||Needs Improvement||Warning/ Failing||Students Included||CPI||SGP||Included in SGP|
|Grade 03 - Reading||36||61||5||15||31||46||43||30||20||9||1,259||68.6||N/A||N/A|
|Grade 03 - Mathematics||37||61||10||27||27||34||31||25||32||14||1,260||64.5||N/A||N/A|
|Grade 04 - English language arts||28||57||3||13||25||44||41||30||30||14||1,230||61.6||42.0||1,095|
|Grade 04 - Mathematics||22||51||3||16||19||35||50||36||28||12||1,228||61.6||40.5||1,090|
|Grade 05 - English language arts||37||61||5||17||32||44||40||28||23||11||1,288||68.5||46.0||1,144|
|Grade 05 - Mathematics||32||57||10||25||22||32||34||26||35||17||1,286||61.8||52.0||1,142|
|Grade 05 - Science and Tech/Eng||20||52||4||22||16||30||41||34||38||14||1,286||56.6||N/A||N/A|
|Grade 06 - English language arts||43||66||4||18||39||48||35||22||22||11||1,203||71.8||43.0||1,073|
|Grade 06 - Mathematics||36||60||10||27||26||33||31||24||33||16||1,204||64.8||44.0||1,073|
|Grade 07 - English language arts||57||71||4||15||53||56||30||21||13||7||1,212||82.4||56.0||1,070|
|Grade 07 - Mathematics||30||51||6||20||24||31||38||30||33||18||1,214||62.8||51.0||1,065|
|Grade 08 - English language arts||68||81||9||18||59||63||23||14||9||6||1,254||86.5||58.0||1,109|
|Grade 08 - Mathematics||32||52||8||22||24||30||35||28||33||19||1,249||62.8||54.0||1,113|
|Grade 08 - Science and Tech/Eng||19||43||1||5||18||38||41||38||40||20||1,250||55.6||N/A||N/A|
|Grade 10 - English language arts||79||88||31||37||48||51||16||9||5||3||995||92.5||69.0||729|
|Grade 10 - Mathematics||66||78||40||50||26||28||20||15||14||7||980||83.3||59.0||723|
|Grade 10 - Science and Tech/Eng||55||12||24||43||45||34||25||11||6||910||80.6||N/A||N/A|
|All Grades - English language arts||49||69||8||19||41||50||33||22||18||9||8,441||75.5||52.0||6,220|
|All Grades - Mathematics||36||59||12||27||24||32||34||26||30||15||8,421||65.4||50.0||6,206|
|All Grades - Science and Tech/Eng||29||54||5||17||24||37||39||32||32||13||3,446||62.6||N/A||N/A|
Last rated on November 12, 2012.
|Transparency grading process|
- Meeting minutes and agendas are available on the website. Also available is the meeting schedule.
- Direct email addresses are provided for all of the school committee members, except for the mayor, for which the phone number is included. However, this is only for the 2009 - 2010 Committee members.
- Direct contact information is available for the superintendent.
- 2009-2010 NCLB Scores are listed on the site.
- Audit information is available under "annual reports," but the latest report is from 2008.
- Local taxes are not available on the school district's website.
- Budget information is available on the website, but the most recent information is from 2002.
- No contract information is provided. There is a superintendent contact listed, but the document is from 2002.
- There is no contact information for a public records or information officer.
- School board elections portal
- Brockton Public Schools elections (2013)
- Massachusetts school districts
- List of school districts in Massachusetts
- Plymouth County, Massachusetts ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Massachusetts
- Brockton Public Schools
- Brockton Education Association
- Brockton, Massachusetts
- Plymouth County, Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
- Massachusetts Association of School Committees
- Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, "Enrollment Data," accessed August 1, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Plymouth County, Massachusetts," accessed August 2, 2013
- Massachusetts Secretary of State, “Enrollment Breakdown as of 2/15/2012,” accessed August 2, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Morgran True, EnterpriseNews.com, "New Brockton school superintendent will earn $190,000 annually, but it is less money than her predecessor," July 17, 2013
- Alex Bloom, EnterpriseNews.com, "Smith to start Brockton school chief job in August," May 21, 2013
- Brockton Public Schools, "BPS School Committee Policies, Board Governance and Regulations," accessed August 2, 2013
- Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, "Total Expenditure Per Pupil, All Funds, By Function," accessed November 25, 2013
- Brockton Education Association, "Home page," accessed August 2, 2013
- Brockton Public Schools, "Our Schools," accessed August 2, 2013
- Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, "MCAS Tests of Spring 2012, Percent of Students at Each Achievement Level for Brockton," accessed August 2, 2013
- Brockton Public Schools, "School Committee Meeting Agenda & Minutes," accessed November 12, 2012
- Brockton Public Schools, "School Committee & Subcommittee Meetings," accessed November 12, 2012
- Brockton Public Schools, "2012-2013 School Committee," accessed November 12, 2012
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Brockton Public Schools, "2009-2010 NCLB Report Card - Brockton," accessed November 12, 2012
- Brockton Public Schools, "BPS School Committee Policies, Finance," accessed November 12, 2012
- Brockton Public Schools, "BPS School Committee Policies, General School Administration," accessed November 12, 2012