Broken Arrow Public Schools elections (2014)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Broken Arrow Public Schools
Tulsa County, Oklahoma ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Oklahoma
One seat on the Broken Arrow Public Schools school board was scheduled to be up for general election on February 11, 2014. Incumbent Board of Education president Cheryl Kelly was unopposed during the filing period and was sworn in for another term in February 2014. The election did not appear on the ballot.
About the district
- See also: Broken Arrow Public Schools, Oklahoma
Broken Arrow outperformed in comparison to the rest of Oklahoma in terms of higher education achievement in 2012, median household income and percentage of residents living below the poverty level. The United States Census Bureau found that 31.3 percent of Broken Arrow residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 23.2 percent for Oklahoma as a whole. The median household income in Broken Arrow was $64,411 compared to $44,891 for the state of Oklahoma. The poverty rate in Broken Arrow was 7.5 percent compared to 16.6 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
Method of board member selection
The Broken Arrow Board of Education consists of five members elected to five-year terms by geographic electoral districts. There was no primary election, and the general election was supposed to be held on February 11, 2014. Due to lack of opposition, however, the election did not appear on the ballot. The Zone 4 seat was on the ballot in 2014, and the Zone 5 seat will be on the ballot in 2015.
Candidates began to file affidavits of candidacy on December 2, 2013. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was December 4, 2013 and the deadline to contest a candidacy was December 6, 2013.
- Cheryl Kelly
- Incumbent board member
No candidate received any official endorsements in this election.
No candidate filed campaign finance reports with the Oklahoma Ethics Commission.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
|December 2, 2013||First day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|December 4, 2013||Last day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|December 6, 2013||Last day to contest a candidacy|
|February 1, 2014||Last day to file first campaign finance report|
|February 11, 2014||Election day|
|March 23, 2014||Last day to file second campaign finance report|
|April 1, 2014||Runoff election (if necessary)|
|August 21, 2014||Last day to file final campaign finance report|
Additional elections on the ballot
No other elections will appear on the local ballot.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Broken + Arrow + Schools + Oklahoma"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Broken Arrow Public Schools, Oklahoma
- Oklahoma school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Tulsa County, Oklahoma ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Oklahoma
- Election preview: 2014 school board elections start quietly in Oklahoma
- Post election:Oklahoma school board elections see low turnout, most uncontested
- United States Census Bureau, "Broken Arrow, Oklahoma," accessed January 14, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 14, 2014
- Oklahoma, "MESA - Current Registration Statistics by County," accessed January 14, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Tulsa County.org, "2014 ELECTION SCHEDULE," January 15, 2014
- Broken Arrow Public Schools, "Board of Education," accessed January 15, 2014
- Oklahoma, "2014 Instructions for Filing for Annual School Elections," accessed January 14, 2014
- Oklahoma, "Candidate Information," accessed January 14, 2014
- Oklahoma, "Generic Calendar for Filing Campaign Contributions and Expenditure Reports(C-1's)," accessed January 14, 2014
|2014 Broken Arrow Public Schools Elections|
|Broken Arrow, Oklahoma|
|Election date:||February 11, 2014|
|Candidates:||Area 4: • Incumbent, Cheryl Kelly|
|Important information:||What was at stake? • Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|