Brunswick Public Schools, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- School board meeting dates and minutes are present.
- A link is provided to the Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card. Academic performance information can also be found on the DOE website.
- The division website includes a Request for Public Records form in the Policy and Regulations Manual. The county website has also posted the Freedom of Information Act policy.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- Budget information is not included on the division website. School fund information can be found in the 2009-2010 county budget on the county website.
- Partial administrative and school board contact information is available. A school phone number and email is provided for the Superintendent and a physical address is provided for each school board member.
- Archived meeting agendas are not available.
- Teacher contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
- The website does not include results of background checks.
- The website does not include information on audits.
Current School Board Members
|Fred M. Reekes||Totaro|
|Louise Mont-Tucker, Chairperson||Red Oak|
|Roy F. Warwick||Meherrin|
|Floyd A. Moore||Sturgeon|
|E. Faye Perkins, Vice Chairman||Powellton|
The current division superintendent is Dr. Oliver W. Spencer, Jr.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Current Board of Education Members
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Brunswick County Public Schools as having a student population of 2,186 and 5 schools in the division.
Brunswick County Public School Division did not make AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Brunswick High||9 - 12||660||Yes|
|James S. Russell Middle||6 - 8||482||No|
|Meherrin Powellton Elementary||Pre-K - 5||313||No|
|Red Oak-Sturgeon Elementary||Pre-K - 5||231||No|
|Totaro Elementary||Pre-K - 5||500||Yes|
- Brunswick County official website
- Brunswick County Public Schools Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education official website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ‘Brunswick County Public Schools,’ School Board, June 18, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education', Brunswick County Public Schools, June 10, 2010
- ‘Brunswick County Public Schools’, Policy and Regulations, K - School-Community Relations, June 18, 2010
- ‘Brunswick County’, FIOA Policy, June 18, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- ‘Brunswick County’, Brunswick County FY10 Consolidated Budget, June 18, 2010
- ‘Brunswick County Public Schools,’ Superintendent, June 18, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010