|Delaware State Senate District 11|
|January 8, 2013-Present|
|Years in position||1|
|Per diem||$7,334 annual expense allowance|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Glasgow High School (1999)|
|Bachelor's||University of Delaware (2003), (2004)|
|Master's||University of Delaware (2003), University of Cambridge (2006)|
|J.D.||Yale University (2009)|
Townsend graduated from Glasgow High School in 1999. In 2003, he graduated from the University of Delaware with a B.S. and an M.A. in Economics. In 2004, he graduated from the University of Delaware with a B.A. in Philosophy and Biology. In 2006, he graduated from the University of Cambridge in England and Peking University in China with an M.A. in Chinese. Townsend went on to earn a law degree from Yale Law School.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Townsend served on the following committees:
|Delaware Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Adult & Juvenile Corrections|
|• Banking, Chair|
|• Public Safety|
|• Veterans Affairs|
Townsend's website highlights the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "We as Delawareans need to rethink our approach to education so that it better reflects the realities of the 21st Century. We must work hard to build stronger bonds between students, teachers, parents, and administrators to ensure our public schools are the vibrant bedrock of our community. Chief among the changes we must make is a halt to the increasing emphasis on high-stakes standardized tests."
Jobs & Economy
- Excerpt: "A dynamic system of training and re-training programs available for Delaware workers. Technological improvements and consumer demand are not static. Responsive re-training programs will ensure that Delaware workers are able to adjust rapidly to changes in industry and demand for certain skills."
- Excerpt: "I have always supported treating people equally regardless of their race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ethnicity, religion, or disability. My belief is that the Golden Rule should guide our decisions in government; this means not only enforcing formal anti-discrimination statutes, but also supporting laws, policies, and programs that help to end disparate impacts or discrimination when it occurs subtly."
- Excerpt: "One of the most fundamental roles of government is to protect its citizens. And one of the most important ways for our State government to provide that protection and keep our community safe and orderly is to be both tough and smart on crime."
Transportation & Infrastructure
- Excerpt: "The state of Delaware’s infrastructure is vitally important, to the safety of all
Delawareans as well as to Delaware’s current and future economy. Our transportation network is something that most Delawareans utilize each day. Maintenance of our bridges and roads is of the utmost importance."
- See also: Delaware State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Delaware State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place September 9, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was July 8, 2014. Incumbent Bryan Townsend defeated David L. Tackett in the Democratic primary and is unchallenged in the general election.
|Delaware State Senate, District 11 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Bryan Townsend Incumbent||78.1%||1,253|
|David L. Tackett||21.9%||352|
- See also: Delaware State Senate elections, 2012
Townsend ran in the 2012 election for Delaware State Senate District 11. Townsend defeated incumbent Anthony DeLuca in the Democratic primary on September 11, 2012 and defeated Evan Queitsch in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Delaware State Senate, District 11, General Election, 2012|
|Delaware State Senate, District 11 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Anthony DeLuca Incumbent||42.2%||1,054|
Comprehensive donor information for Townsend is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Townsend raised a total of $71,153 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 18, 2013.
|Bryan Townsend's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Delaware State Senate, District 11||$71,153|
|Grand Total Raised||$71,153|
2012Townsend won election to the Delaware State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Townsend raised a total of $71,153.
|Delaware State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Bryan Townsend's campaign in 2012|
|New Castle County Democratic Cmte||$2,500|
|Delaware Democratic Party||$2,000|
|Peterson For Senate||$1,200|
|Jcm Associates Inc||$600|
|Total Raised in 2012||$71,153|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Legislators are scored on their stances on "social and economic justice issues."
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Bryan + Townsend + Delaware + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Delaware State Senate
- Delaware Senate Committees
- Delaware State Senate District 11
- Delaware State Legislature
- Profile from the Delaware State Senate
- Official campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Twitter account
- Facebook page
- Bryan Townsend for Delaware Facebook Page, "Info," accessed September 1, 2012
- bryande.com, "Issues," accessed August 5, 2014
- State of Delaware, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed July 10, 2014
- State of Delaware, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 10, 2014
- State of Delaware, "Official primary election results," accessed September 17, 2014
- Delaware Elections Division, "Candidate List," accessed July 13, 2012
- Delaware Department of Elections, "Official Primary Results," accessed March 20, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Townsend, Bryan," accessed September 18, 2013
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed July 21, 2014
Anthony DeLuca (D)
|Delaware State Senate District 11
| Succeeded by|