Buffalo, New York
|Buffalo, New York|
|Last mayoral election:||2013|
|Next mayoral election:||2017|
|Last city council election:||2011|
|Next city council election:||2015|
|City council seats:||9|
|2013-14 FY Budget:||$482 million|
|Population in 2013:||258,959|
African American 38.6%
Hispanic or Latino 10.5%
Two or More Races 3.1%
|Median household income:||$30,502|
|High school graduation rate:||81.7%|
|College graduation rate:||23.4%|
|Related Buffalo offices|
|New York Congressional Delegation|
New York State Legislature
New York state executive offices
- See also: Mayor-council government
The city of Buffalo utilizes a "strong mayor" and city council system. In this form of municipal government, the city council serves as the city's primary legislative body while the mayor serves as the city's chief executive.
The mayor serves as the city's chief executive and is responsible for proposing a budget, signing legislation into law, appointing departmental directors and overseeing the city's day-to-day operations. The mayor also represents the city on the state, national and international levels. Byron Brown is the current Mayor of Buffalo.
The Buffalo City Council - also known as the Common Council - is the city's primary legislative body. It is responsible for adopting the city budget, approving mayoral appointees, levying taxes and making or amending city laws, policies and ordinances.
The Buffalo City Council is made up of nine members, each of whom is elected by one of the city's nine districts.
A current list of council members can be found here.
The Buffalo City Council features thirteen standing committees, which focus on individual policy and legislative issues. Generally, the drafting of city legislation begins with the committees.
A current list of Buffalo City Council committees can be found here.
The city of Buffalo, New York will hold elections for city council in 2015. Information on election dates will be posted once they are made available. All nine city council seats are up for election.
Buffalo's adopted operating budget for fiscal year 2013-14 was $482 million.
Office of the Mayor
201 City Hall
Buffalo, NY 14202
To contact individual council members, see here.
- See also: Erie County, New York ballot measures
As a charter city, Buffalo follows the initiative process dictated by state law.
As of October 2014, information on Buffalo's federal lobbying related expenses beyond 2012 is unavailable.
City website evaluation
|Transparency grading process|
- The current budget, as well as archived budget documents, are available.
- Meeting agendas are posted.
- The Mayor and Common Council's contact information is posted.
- Administrative contact information is listed for each department.
- Permits are available electronically and zoning information is posted.
- Audit reports and Comprehensive Annual Financial reports are posted.
- Formal bids are posted.
- A public records request form is available.
- Local tax information and online payment options are provided.
- Meeting minutes and schedules are not posted.
- Contracts are not posted.
- The city's Code of Ethics Annual Disclosure Form and Booklet is posted, but information about current lobbying activities is not provided.
- Public records request information and relevant contact information is not provided.
- U.S. Census Bureau, "State and County Quick Facts," accessed on October 28, 2014
- City of Buffalo, "History of the Common Council," accessed on October 28, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- City of Buffalso, "Office of the Mayor," accessed on October 28, 2014
- City of Buffalo, "Committees," accessed on October 28, 2014
- City of Buffalo, "Mayor Brown Releases 2013-2014 City Budget," accessed on October 28, 2014
- City of Buffalo, "Adopted Budget," accessed on October 28, 2014
- City of Buffalo, "Archived Budgets," accessed on October 28, 2014
- City of Buffalo, "Final Agendas," accessed on October 28, 2014
- City of Buffalo, "Mayor," accessed on October 28, 2014
- City of Buffalo, "Common Council," accessed on October 28, 2014
- City of Buffalo, "City Departments," accessed on October 28, 2014
- City of Buffalo, "Zoning Ordinances," accessed on October 28, 2014
- City of Buffalo, "Formal Bids," accessed on October 28, 2014
- City of Buffalo, "FOIL," accessed on October 28, 2014
- City of Buffalo, "Assessment and Taxation," accessed on October 28, 2014
- City of Buffalo, "Code of Ethics Annual Disclosure Form & Booklet," accessed on October 28, 2014