By Any Means Necessary
BAMN is currently building the "new civil rights movement," and they are a primarily student and youth-based organization of leaders in schools and communities, committed to making real the promises of American democracy and equality.
According to their website, "BAMN is building the movement to end Jim Crow, second-class treatment of black people and other minorities and immigrants, documented and undocumented. We are building a united mass, integrated civil rights movement that will unite black and brown, gay and straight, to win full freedom and equality for all. We are fighting to defend public education, to defeat budget cuts for education, to defend public jobs and public services, to win college financial aid and citizenship for undocumented immigrant students, and to make every school, college, city, municipality and state a sanctuary for undocumented immigrants. BAMN is also fighting to build a new, international youth leadership for the environmental movement."
BAMN in Michigan
BAMN activism has included legal challenges against the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative, rallies, protests and confrontational activism. BAMN was active in Michigan in claiming that some of the signatures collected in a 2005 petition drive to place the Michigan Civil Rights Amendment, Proposal 2 (2006) on the ballot were collected fraudulently when signature gatherers erroneously claimed that the measure promoted affirmative action. Although the MCRI passed in November 2006, BAMN has continued to pursue legal challenges in court.
Opponents of the group have criticized BAMN for tactics allegedly used during its rallies such as verbally assaulting people who disagree with their political program. The group has also been criticized for busing in students from the Metro Detroit area to BAMN protests.
The American Civil Liberties Union has reported that the FBI has investigated BAMN for potential involvement in unspecified "terrorist activities." According to the FBI, the group's protests were discussed in a meeting about terrorist activities.
- The Official website of BAMN
- BAMN on Facebook
- BAMN on Twitter
- Capital Research Center report, "BAMN: By Any Means Necessary - How Radicals Use Race Preferences and Immigration to Change the Debate"
- The Michigan Daily, "Viewpoint: BAMN leads way against MCRI"
- Info about BAMN
- BAMN, "About BAMN", Accessed February 21, 2014.
- The Michigan Daily, "BAMN clashes with MCRI director", Accessed February 21, 2014.
- Discriminations, "Civil Rights Fraud in Michigan", Accessed February 21, 2014.
- ACLU, "FBI Document Labels Michigan Affirmative Action and Peace Groups as Terrorists ", Accessed February 21, 2014.