Byron Bailey and Herb De Groft recall, Isle of Wight County, Virginia (2013)
Connected efforts to recall Byron Bailey and Herb De Groft from their respective positions as Vice-Chairman of the County Board of Supervisors and County School Board member in Isle of Wight County, Virginia was launched in May 2013. Both recall efforts were judicially invalidated.
In May 2013, private emails sent by Byron Bailey and Herb De Groft containing racially offensive jokes, including some about President Barack Obama and First-Lady Michelle Obama, were exposed by the county's NAACP chapter, which helped lead the recall efforts.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Virginia
On August 12, 2013, Phil Ferguson, the Commonwealth attorney handling the recall cases against Bailey and De Groft, determined there was a lack of grounds to continue the recall process against Bailey because the offensive emails were sent on private computers with private emails outside of public duties. Ferguson stated, "The facts were not sufficient to remove a supervisor under those facts. He was sending out inappropriate things, but that is not abusing your office and it didn't meet the criteria." Prior to that determination, recall supporters had gathered more than the required 238 signatures needed for Bailey's recall petition.
In July Ferguson stopped the recall effort against De Groft because De Groft's petition was five valid signatures short of the 206 required under law for his petition. Virginia state code does not provide any procedures for cases when signature counts fall short of requirements. A court hearing was scheduled for September to rule on the matter, but case was dropped due to a lack of evidence similar to that in Bailey's recall case.
- Recall campaigns in Virginia
- Political recall efforts, 2013
- County commission recalls
- School board recalls
- tidewaternews.com, "Petition filed for removal," July 5, 2013
- Isle of Wight, "Isle of Wight County Board of Supervisors," accessed: August 8, 2013
- Isle of Wight County Schools, "School Board: Members," accessed: August 13, 2013
- Suffolk News Herald, "Suffolk prosecutor represents IW petitioners," July 8, 2013
- Wavy.com, "IOW supervisor will not be recalled," August 12, 2013
- FOX43TV.com, "IOW school board member won't be recalled," July 25, 2013 (dead link)
- FOX43TV.com, "Hundreds sign petition to remove elected official," June 28, 2013 (dead link)
- Wavy.com, "IOW school board member off the hook," July 17, 2013 (dead link)
- Wavy.com, "De Groft recall petitions lack enough names," July 8, 2013
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |