Cabell County Schools elections (2014)
|General Election date:|
Method of election
Cabell County Schools
Cabell County, West Virginia ballot measures
Local ballot measures, West Virginia
Three seats on the Cabell County Schools school board were up for general election on May 13, 2014. Mary L. Neely, Rhonda E. Smalley and Karen Nance defeated Samuel R. Moore, Scott Caserta and Nazim M. Abbess II.
About the district
- See also: Cabell County Schools, West Virginia
Cabell County outperformed in comparison to the rest of West Virginia in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 25.2% of Cabell County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 17.9% for West Virginia as a whole. The median household income in Cabell County was $23,024 compared to $22,482 for the state of West Virginia. The poverty rate in Cabell County was 21.3% compared to 17.6% for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Cabell school board consists of five members elected to four-year terms. Board members are elected at-large, but represent different geographical districts. No more than two members elected from any magisterial district may serve on the board during a given term. There was no primary election and the general election was held on May 13, 2014. Three seats were on the ballot in 2014 and two seats are on the ballot in 2015.
Candidates began to file affidavits of candidacy on January 13, 2014. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was January 25, 2014.
- Karen Nance
- Business owner
- Graduate, Marshall University
- Mary L. Neely
- Samuel R. Moore
- Former assistant principal
- Graduate, Marshall University
|Cabell County Schools, At-Large General Election, 4-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Mary L. Neely Incumbent||17.7%||3,898|
|Nonpartisan||Rhonda E. Smalley||17.1%||3,766|
|Nonpartisan||Samuel R. Moore||15.7%||3,471|
|Nonpartisan||Nazim M. Abbess II||5.6%||1,242|
|Source: The Herald Dispatch, "Election Results," May 13, 2014 These election results are unofficial. They will be updated once certified election results are available.|
No candidate has received any official endorsements in this election.
No candidate filed a campaign finance report with the West Virginia Secretary of State.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Cabell County Schools election in 2014:
|January 13, 2014||First day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|January 25, 2014||Last day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|February 7, 2014||First day to request an absentee ballot|
|April 30, 2014||Early voting begins|
|May 7, 2014||Last day to request an absentee ballot|
|May 10, 2014||Early voting ends|
|May 13, 2014||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
In addition to the school board election, residents of Cabell County voted in a county circuit clerk election, a County Commissioner election, a County Magistrate election, a Conservation District Supervisor election and a County Democratic Executive Committee election.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Cabell + County + Schools + West + Virginia"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- West Virginia,
- Cabell County Schools, West Virginia
- West Virginia school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Cabell County, West Virginia ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, West Virginia
- United States Census Bureau, "Cabell County, West Virginia," accessed January 15, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed February 18, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State," West Virginia Voter Registration," accessed February 18, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Cabell County Schools, "Policies," accessed February 18, 2014
- The Herald Dispatch, "Candidates file for county primary," January 26, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "2014 Election Information," accessed February 19. 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State," Elections," accessed February 18, 2014
|2014 Cabell County Schools Elections|
|Cabell County, West Virginia|
|Election date:||May 13, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Karen Nance • Mary L. Neely • Samuel R. Moore • Scott Caserta • Rhonda E. Smalley • Nazim M. Abbess II|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|