Cabot Public School District elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Cabot Public School District
Lonoke County, Arkansas ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Arkansas
The Position 5 seat on the school board for Cabot Public Schools school board was up for election on September 17, 2013.
About the district
- See also: Cabot Public School District, Arkansas
Cabot outperformed the rest of Arkansas in terms of its median rates of average household income, poverty and higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Cabot was $55,543 compared to $40,149 for the state of Arkansas. The poverty rate in Cabot was 12.2% compared to 18.4% for the entire state. The US Census also found that 24.0% of Cabot residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to 19.6% in Arkansas.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Cabot school board consists of seven members elected to five-year terms. All members are elected by different geographic districts. There is no primary election for the school board election and the general election was held on September 17, 2013.
Individuals interested in running for the board began obtaining nominating papers on June 9, 2013. The filing deadline for school board candidates was July 9, 2013.
- Dean Martin
- Squadron Commander, Arkansas National Guard
- Mark Raines
- Graduate, University of Arkansas at Little Rock
- External affairs officer
No endorsements were made in this election.
As of September 18, no contributions or expenditures were reported to the Arkansas Secretary of State.
What was at stake?
One seat on the board was up for election on September 17, 2013.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Cabot Public Schools election in 2013:
|June 9, 2013||First day for candidates to circulate nomination petitions|
|July 2, 2013||First day for candidates to file position of candidacy|
|July 9, 2013||Last day for candidates to file position of candidacy|
|September 11, 2013||Early voting begins|
|September 14, 2013||Early voting ends|
|September 17, 2013||Election Day|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election only shared the ballot with other local school board elections. No additional measures appeared on the ballot.
- Arkansas school board elections to address school safety, choice
- Cabot Public School District, Arkansas
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Lonoke County, Arkansas ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Arkansas
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Cabot," accessed July 31, 2013
- The New York Times, "Election Results," accessed July 31, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Arkansas Secretary of State, "School Election Calendar," accessed August 1, 2013
- Arkansas Secretary of State, "Financial Disclosure Search," accessed September 18, 2013