For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
California "End Collective Bargaining by Public Employee Unions Act" (2012)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
The letter requesting a title and summary for the proposed initiative was signed by Alan Oliver Ebenstein. Ebenstein is a lecturer in economics at the University of California-Santa Barbara. He says that he has found financial backers willing to put "a few hundred thousand dollars" toward a petition drive to collect the required signatures to qualify the measure for the ballot. Ebenstein is supporting two additional ballot measures that are reqarded as unfriendly to labor.
Ebenstein founded the California Center for Public Policy to support various changes to California's labor laws. He says, "Basically, the situation in California now is so significant, with respect to the budget deficits so many government agencies face, that the right solution to confronting these financial difficulties is to end public sector collective bargaining."
Text of measure
- "Eliminates collective bargaining rights for teachers, nurses, police officers, firefighters, and other public employees. Prohibits state and local public agencies from recognizing any labor union or other employee association as a bargaining agent of any public employee. Prohibits state and local public agencies from collectively bargaining with public employee unions or employee associations."
Summary of estimated fiscal impact:
(This is a summary of the initiative's estimated "fiscal impact on state and local government" prepared by the California Legislative Analyst's Office and the Director of Finance.)
- "Potential state and local government employee compensation savings. The amount of savings would depend on future compensation decisions by state and local governments."
- Fresno Bee, "Collective bargaining, pension initiatives OK'd for signatures," September 7, 2011
- Sacramento Bee, "Labor-unfriendly measures aim for 2012 ballot," September 8, 2011 (dead link)
- NoozHawk, "New Group Crafting Ballot Measure to End Collective Bargaining for Public Employees," February 7, 2011