California "Protection of Local School Revenues" Initiative (2014)
Text of measure
- "Prohibits state from redirecting or reducing the allocation of local property tax revenues designated for K-12 public schools and community college districts. Requires state to use its general fund instead of these local property tax revenues to compensate cities and counties for their reduced vehicle license fee revenue when the fee is set below 2 percent of vehicle market value."
Fiscal impact statement:
- "Net decrease in city and county revenue of about $2.5 billion per year, beginning in 2015-16. Uncertain impact on annual state costs ranging from savings of a few billion dollars to costs of a few billion dollars, beginning in 2015-16. Possible increase in school and community college funding."
Path to the ballot
- See also: California signature requirements
- Katherine G. Welch and Jennifer L. Bestor submitted a letter requesting a title and summary on December 2, 2013.
- A title and summary were issued by the Attorney General of California's office on January 31, 2014.
- 807,615 valid signatures are required for qualification purposes.
- Supporters have until June 30, 2014 to collect the required signatures.