California "Welfare Reform Act" (2014)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
Supporters of the initiative referred to it as "The California Welfare Reform Act of 2014." They withdrew the initiative on April 14, 2014.
Text of measure
- "Requires adult applicants for public assistance benefits to have California driver's license or identification card and child applicants to have birth certificate and social security card. Requires counties and the state to retain copies of such identification documents and monitor subsequent submissions. Requires certain beneficiaries to seek employment for three months before becoming eligible for employment-related assistance. Requires additional state and county steps to identify and facilitate employment for those beneficiaries."
Fiscal impact statement:
- "Annual state and local savings, potentially in the hundreds of millions of dollars, from reduced caseloads in the California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) program and other public social services programs. Annual state and local costs at least in the tens of millions of dollars to implement a job placement program for CalWORKs recipients and administer additional documentation requirements. One-time state costs in the tens of millions of dollars for various automation changes."
Path to the ballot
- Ted Hilton submitted a letter requesting a title and summary on October 11, 2013.
- A title and summary were issued by the Attorney General of California's office on December 3, 2013.
- 504,760 valid signatures are required for qualification purposes.
- Supporters had until May 2, 2014 to collect the required signatures. Filing sufficient signatures by that date would not have allowed the initiative to compete on the November 4, 2014 ballot.
- The Secretary of State’s suggested signature filing deadline for the November 4, 2014 ballot was April 18, 2014.
- Proponents withdrew the initiative from circulation on April 14, 2014.
- Letter requesting a ballot title for Initiative 13-0024
- PUBLIC ASSISTANCE BENEFITS. ELIGIBILITY. INITIATIVE STATUTE. Title and Summary