California Marijuana Legalization Initiative (2014)
Supporters of the initiative refer to it as "The Marijuana Control, Legalization and Revenue Act of 2014.".
Text of measure
- "Legalizes under state law marijuana use, growth, cultivation, possession, transportation, storage, or sale. Creates commission to regulate, and provide business licenses for, marijuana cultivation, sales, processing, transportation, and distribution. Applies general retail sales taxes to marijuana, unless exemptions for medical or dietary uses apply. Permits excise tax on marijuana sales, up to 10% of retail price. Prohibits discrimination against marijuana users or businesses. Requires voter approval to zone beyond set limits. Nullifies other local regulations. Prohibits Legislature from enacting marijuana laws. Exempts medical marijuana collectives from licensing, regulatory, and local zoning requirements."
Fiscal impact statement:
- "Reduced costs potentially exceeding $100 million annually to state and local governments related to enforcing certain marijuana-related offenses, handling the related criminal cases in the court system, and incarcerating and supervising certain marijuana offenders. Potential net additional tax revenues of a few hundred million dollars annually related to the production and sale of marijuana, a portion of which is required to be spent on education, health care, public safety, drug abuse education and treatment, and the regulation of commercial marijuana activities."
Path to the ballot
- John W. Lee, Bob Bowerman, Degé Coutee and Dave Hodges submitted a letter requesting a title and summary on November 26, 2013.
- A title and summary were issued by the Attorney General of California's office on January 31, 2014.
- 504,760 valid signatures are required for qualification purposes.
- Supporters had until June 30, 2014 to collect the required signatures. Filing sufficient signatures by that date would not allow the initiative to compete on the November 4, 2014 ballot.
- The Secretary of State’s suggested signature filing deadline for the November 4, 2014 ballot was April 18, 2014.