California Parental Notification for Abortion (2014)
If the initiative qualifies for the ballot and is approved by the state's voters, it will require parental notification prior to a minor receiving an abortion.
Two versions of the initiative have been filed with election officials. One version (#13-0019) is approved for circulation; Version #13-0038 is awaiting a ballot title and summary.
Text of Version #13-0019
- "Changes California Constitution to prohibit abortion for unemancipated minor until 48 hours after physician or other authorized medical professional notifies her parent/legal guardian in writing. Provides exceptions for medical emergency, parental waiver, or parental abuse documented by notarized statement from law enforcement, protective services, or certain relatives. Permits judge to waive notice if minor appears personally in court and proves maturity or waiver is in her best interest. Requires reporting of specific abortion information to State. Violating medical professionals subject to suit for 12 years."
Fiscal impact statement:
- "Potential unknown net state costs, likely of several million dollars annually, for health and social services programs, court administration, and state health agency administration combined."
Path to the ballot
- See also: California signature requirements
- John Smith submitted a letter requesting a ballot title on September 23, 2013.
- A ballot title and summary were issued by the Attorney General of California's office on November 13, 2013.
- 807,615 valid signatures are required for qualification purposes.
- The 150-day circulation deadline for #13-0019 is April 14, 2014.
- John Smith submitted a letter requesting a ballot title on November 1, 2013.
- A ballot title and summary must be issued by the Attorney General of California's office no later than on December 26, 2013.
- Once the title and summary are prepared, 807,615 valid signatures will be required for qualification purposes.
- Supporters will have 150 days from the date that the title and summary are issued to collect the required signatures.
- Letter requesting a ballot title for Initiative 13-0019
- Letter requesting a ballot title for Initiative 13-0038