California Referendum on Medical Standards Pertaining to Abortion Clinics (2014)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
Its sponsors, however, did not submit enough signatures to election officials by the deadline.
If the initiative had qualified for the ballot and been approved by the state's voters, it would have:
- Ratified AB 980 (Ch. 663, Stats. 2013), which is "An act to add Section 18944.18 to the Health and Safety Code, relating
- AB 980 repeals regulations that impose different building and licensing standards on abortion clinics than on other medical clinics.
This measure was a veto referendum; this means that a "yes" vote would have been a vote to uphold or ratify the contested legislation (AB 154) that was enacted by the California State Legislature while a "no" vote would have been a vote to overturn AB 980.
If sufficient signatures were gathered by the January 7, 2014 deadline to qualify #13-0030 for the ballot, AB 980 would have been suspended from going into effect until and unless it was approved by the state's voters. Since #13-0029 did not qualify for the ballot, AB 980 will go into effect.
Text of measure
- "If signed by the required number of registered voters and timely filed with the Secretary of State, this petition will place on the statewide ballot a challenge to a state law previously approved by the Legislature and the Governor. The law must then be approved by a majority of voters at the next statewide election to go into effect. The law would repeal regulations that impose different building and licensing standards on clinics providing abortion services than on other primary care clinics."
Path to the ballot
- Laurette Elsberry submitted a letter requesting a ballot title on October 28, 2013.
- A ballot title and summary were issued by the Attorney General of California's office on November 7, 2013.
- 504,760 valid signatures were required for qualification purposes.
- The 150-day circulation deadline for #13-0030 was January 7, 2014.
- Not enough signatures were filed by the filing deadline.